Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn the sawzall.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Oct 3, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Decided to cut the rockers and portion of the firewall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tube bed and shocks are in and done.

[​IMG]

Again, this is mid stream things are still rough right now.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Come awn' keep going:D
    [​IMG]

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You both are pussies, I just used the engine hoist. :D

[​IMG]

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ur departure angle sucks. ;)

a chopped all to hell firewall looks real familiar tho... :thumb:

j

5. 85mudblazin

I agree 100%.

Everytime I work on the truggy I wish I had just started with a frame.

6. jekbrown

yeah, Im to the point now where I am gonna cut the rest of the firewall off... except the part where the column/pedals go through. Suspend that from tube and make the rest custom.

j

7. 85mudblazin

Im telling you just redo it all. Unless you dont want to be reeal narrow. Without moving mine im 64" wide. I didnt want to go any narrower since my seat is about 6" from the cage now.

I wish I was around 48-50" wide.

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the sawzall is your friend. think of it this way, the more you cut, the less it weighs. course youve already cut a bunch off. you can lose much more weight by cutting stuff off.

9. jekbrown

yeah, right now I'm about as narrow as I can get with 2 side-by-side seats and room for the center console I want (shifter, switches, guages, electrical chit will all be there). 58.xx" wide. I basically am going to redo the entire thing... I'm just keeping a 2'x2' piece of the firewall so I don't have to buy/cut a big sheet of steel and put all the holes in it and crap for wiring. lol!

my toy buggy is gonna be pull-the-shoulders-in narrow. Its fine with my if the K5 is "fat" by comparison. ;) I like fullsize rigs, even if they do get caught up on obstacles some times. Its all good. :)

I need to start my own dedicated build up thread. It'll happen soon... been taking mad pics. :grin:

anyway, hijack over. I dig the little "bed" you made for it...8. Looks kick ass. Airshocks for the rear eh? Don't see them on fullsize rigs much yet... though with the weight capabilities the new ones have there is no reason why not. What kinda joints you runnin? My k5 is stay'in leafed. I'll save links for the toy. ;)

j

10. 84blazend

84blazend Registered Member

Wow, that looks like it will definately be fun to wheel with. What's it powered by?

11. mikey_d05

Don't worry 85, as soon as you get down to the frame you realize it would have been WAY easier to just start fresh with a tube creation.

Also, 48-50" wide??? My buddy's Yota is 63 or so and mine is gonna be 58-60 and it's a tight friggin squeeze. You don't wanna run a center console or what?

Jek, what are you thinkin for a Toy buggy? I wanna build a single seater with an all 'yota drivetrain someday. :D

End of hijack.

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I thought long and hard about removing the rest of the tub all together. I bought a 4X8 piece of sheet metal and was ready to cut but I have changed my mind so many times I just want this thing done and driveable. If I take out the firewall I will want to go and buy new pedals and master cyls and while I am at it I might as well do full hydraulic. I can't contol myself.

As for the shocks...I seen them on ebay at a good price and after talking to a few guys on pirate who run them on real f/s rigs (not cut down tube thingy's) and talking to Sway-A-Way I think they will work.

The joints are another issue altogether. They are 3/4 3/4 chromo heims. I bought them from Des Moines Off Road and they are the same ones that are used on the buggy's they build. They said it should be fine so I just left it at that but after I did a little research following getting flamed by a few friends and some folks here I realize they are fairly weak. But now I am screwed because the tabs are 2" apart and a 1" heim needs 2.375" so I would have to cut all my tabs off and re weld them. I do not want to re do my crossmember. I built that thing way overkill and cutting the tabs off is not even a possibility.

So what do I do? I can fit a 7/8 7/8 heim where the old ones go and they are 2X stronger than the 3/4 heims but only half as strong as a 1" heim. I can't use a superflex joint because I have a 3/4" bolt hole and they use 1/2 " bolts.

As for the hijack...please hijack away. If it wasn't for looking at your rigs I would have never done this.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

well 7/8" is still 2x the strength??? then it would make sence to upgrade....

get some 1/4" steel, cut a nice big washer with 1/2" holes, weld them to the outside of you tabs.... walla 1/2" holes.

14. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

props for keeping the cleanest work area:D ... but anyway. the truck looks nice and i like the shocks. im sure you will let us know how they work out. looks like a nice project. cant wait to see it finished:bow:

15. jekbrown

yeah, no way could you have 2 side by side seats and a center console and still be 48" wide. right now my seats are right at the edges of the tube (as in, if you mounted them 1.5" further out, they would be sticking outside the tube work. Even out that far, the console is only going to be able to be about a foot wide... if that. I dunno, maybe my seats (Baja SS) are just fat?

yeppers, standard stuff. I have the axles, tranny, tcases, seat, wheels and link material (tube) already... just need to finish my k5 and tow rig projects before I dig into this one. ;) Specs:

Front: 1985 solid, 4.10 gears, aussie locker, Longs 4340/300M birfs/shafts, flanges, high steer / full hydro (station?). 3 link.

rear: early 80s narrow rear, 4340 shafts, disc brakes, 4.10s, spool, 4 link.

engine: stripped down 20r run on propane... simple as I can possibly get it. Minimum amount of vac lines and wires... lol!

trans: w56, rebuilt.

t-cases: couple of top shifting toy cases. I'm going to start with stock gears in both... but will upgrade the rear to 4.7s from Marlin at a later date. With the stock axle gears, plan is to just keep the front case in low all the time... when I need to get it, put the other case in low also. Doubler adapter will be a clocked Marlin. MC08?

lower links will be 2" x 0.250" wall tube that are trussed on the top side with 1.75" x 0.120 wall with full length gusset plating. Uppers will be 1.5" x 0.250" tube. Not sure what joints I will use... whatever is cool by the time I have the chassis ready to roll I guess. ;) Definitely gonna use airshocks.

Tires will be 37s or 38s on aluminum wheels and inside-the-wheel type double beadlocks.

The design goal will be to have the thing as narrow and light as I can get it. If you follow common threads on pirate, it will be sort of similar to the "toyfamily" buggy over there. Basically they just put the entire assembled drivetrain on stands and then bent tube to fit right around it. Toy engines 'n' parts are pretty narrow, so you can make it a pretty tight package.

j

16. 85mudblazin

Center console?:haha:

17. mikey_d05

My buddy (really big into Toys) and I stripped a parts truck a couple of weeks ago and I'm tall enough that a 22R would be incredibly easy to straddle if I could keep the heat out of my left leg (exhaust).

I was thinkin me sitting on the tranny straddling the motor, a nightmare of shifter linkages, and a single seat behind me. i coulda had all the parts minus the shocks and links for $500...had 5.29's, lockers, and al rims with 35's. :doah:

And yeah, center console bitch. I like to leave the parking lot at sun up and get back when the food is being thrown on the grille. It's gotta be comfy for a full day of wheeling...and that means I need elbow room.

18. mikey_d05

Oh yeah, bringing this a tad back on topic. the firewall and floor weigh a TON! If you can get rid of 'em...do it.

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Isnt it easier (and cheaper) to find a crashed/rolled over K5 to begin with? Then you can just trash the body (which was trashed anyways) rather than destroy a vintage k5...

20. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Two seats side by side - 48" wide is definitely a minimum... That's what I built this frame to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Marv