Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn thing keeps wandering!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by No_Help, Nov 16, 2002.

1. No_Help

No_Help Registered Member

my 78 jimmy keeps wandering on the freeway. I have replaced the steering box,new dual steering dampener, new lift, and all new shocks. Still bad on the freeway. the only thing else i can think of is the bushings to the sway bar that connect up front at the u bolts, they look pretty bad.Any suggestions?
    I just want it to not feel like it is on stilts when at high speeds.

2. bdan

bdan Registered Member

basic question but did you get a front end alignment? -Did wonders for my truck after a lift kit- also, did you put in new steering arm? Best o' luck

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Try tightening your steering box. Not where it bolts to the frame but the adjusting part on top of the box. I tightened mine up and it helped a lot on the wandering. Hope this helps.

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

tierod ends?

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

You are probably suffering from "frame Flex". Look into the ORD Steering Brace. It'll help a lot!

Backlash

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Drag link ends. if you have it lifted and dont have a drop pitman arm anddont have crossover get a new drop pitman arm and new drag link. the pitman arm more just to have stuff pulled appart once. i bet your drag link ends are bad.
    also check the "rag" joint that goes into the stering box off the steefing shaft. when i got my wifes jimmy i had all those problems. thats what i did to fix it and it worked great. as for the guy saying frame flex, i doubt it. but i do advise th ORD steering brace or one similar. i have 2 k5's and 2 cracked steering box areas on the frames. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Grant

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used to have a 4WD Dodge van that wandered all over the road like that. Everything in the front end was tight. When the tires wore out I replaced them with some new radials and it was like I had bought a new truck! It never wandered again. Do you have a friend that would let you swap on their tires and wheels for a test drive?

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Did your new front springs have shims on the bottom of them? Springs companies will put degree shims on the bottom of the pack to help with driveshaft angle sometimes. Problem is this takes away caster and in doing so makes the truck not track correctly. My 6" springs had a 3 degree shim and it was white knuckle from 60 on. Took them out and it drove like it should again. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif