Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn thing wont start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88trailblazer, Jul 24, 2004.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

I've got an '88 with a 1 month old rebuilt 350 TBI. This problem was around before the rebuild and it's driving me insane! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif When I take the truck out short trips I wont have any problems. But when I have to drive for a good 30 minutes or more in the Florida heat, I'll park the truck for a minute, then it won't start. I mean nothing, no crancking, no sound, nothing. It's not the battery, because after cooling down for a 1/2 hour it'll start right up. Someone mentioned that it might be the coil, so I changed that out today, but is there something else that would cause this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just don't want to be left stranded again in this heat. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If it won't crank at all then it is in the starter or the starter wiring. I would think heat soak onto the starter solinoid would be the problem. Do you have headers? They magnify heat soak problems.

If you are talking about getting the starter to crank then having the truck not start it might be a module problem in the ignition. I have the problem with my TPI. I was going on long drives (happened more when I drove fast an hard). The truck would crank but not start. If it let it sit for awhile it would start sometimes. Sometimes it wouldn't. I would replace the module and it would start.

I took the distributor out of my truck and knocked out the little screens in the bottom so that more air could get in the dist. and it hasn't happened in awhile.

Harley

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am thinking the starter is bad, I had similar problems with mine. I know they can act up when they get too hot and are on the verge of breaking..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

p.s. if it is heat soak problem then you need to put some type of heat barrier between the starter and the exhaust manifold. Some type of sheetmetal shield to seperate them some.

Harley

5. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

IF it is heat soak you can also (wince's) put a ford solenoid. There are many articles around to do this. Summit even offers kit that has the solenoid and wire to do it all in one package.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sounds like starter/solenoid heat soak. Could be that your starter has developed a dead spot, too. Sometimes beating on the starter and solenoid with a hammer a few times helps, but sometimes you just have to let it cool down.

I used to change my starter every year because of this problem. I went to a remote solenoid and got more than three years from one starter. At least one of those was with headers that pass right by the starter. I now run a heat shield on the starter/solenoid as well.

7. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone! I guess i'll change the starter next and I'll order one of those heat sheilds from summit or jegs. that should hopefully solve that problem so that i can finally order complete 4in lift from Rough Country. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my rig soon. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

You could get one of those high torque mini starters from summit or jegs. I have one on my 69 Camaro w/headers.. no more heat soak.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif