Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn ticking/tapping/blowby!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gunner_vincent, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gunner_vincent

gunner_vincent Registered Member

hey guys I need some help... I sank my truck in the water.. up to the steering wheel. I got the truck going again, after days of draining/refill. The truck has developed sound, sound first like air escaping the collector gaskets. I changed the gaskets, and i am about to change the exhaust manifold gaskets... it sounds like it is coming from underneath the exhaust manifold gasket, now i am leaning towards rod or possible something in auto TH350 transmission...I give it gas, the sound gets louder. I would appreciate all inputs

ANY IDEAS? :confused: :mad:

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'd like to know as well. Inquiring minds want to know. :ears:

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I just did this a couple weeks ago and ended up putting in a new motor. If its getting worse it is probably a rod. Did you get alot of water in the motor? Did you drive it after the water got into it? I would pull the pan off and look at a couple of the rod bearings and it may answer all your questions. What did you oil look like? Even after i got all the water out after about 50 miles it looked all gray.

good luck,

4. gunner_vincent

gunner_vincent Registered Member

nah i shut it down... before it got above the wheels... I drained everything (change all fluids 4 times) pulled plugs and got all the water out... it runs great... just getting rid of bad gas still and when I had the pan off it all looked good, guess time will tell!

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold. Leaks here sound like a tap. Is the noise rpm related or throttle related? If it gets louder with rpm it could be a rod or valvetrain noise, verify by unplugging the spark plug wires one at a time with it running, when you get to the bad rod bearing, the noise will stop. If the noise is throttle related, meaning it gets louder while driving when you hit the gas even though rpms stay about the same, its an exhaust leak.