Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

damn wind! i just lost the 2.5 car carport i finished building on tuesday

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Nov 13, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The whole thing is twisted and broken, every tarp cover is ripped apart. I have never experienced wind like this before, luckily I was able to cut out the tarps before the anchors broke and it went through my neighbors windows. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Oh well...time to get some shipping containers to work out of. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Bummer for ya. I know how you feel though we had a 85 mph blast that tore all kinds of things up in the backyard. Kinda opens your eyes to watch things flyin past your window. Good luck to ya on the repairs.

Allan

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah this weather is crazy. First time I ever saw the canopy over the gas pumps at work flexing around violently. That could be quite bad.

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I saw the wind take down a traffic light once. Pure bad luck I'ld say. Sorry to hear about yours /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Wow that sucks the wind is crazy here...I just ordered one of those but have not gotten it yet, thank god...makes me wonder if I should have wasted my money... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifoh well...Thanks god no one got hurt or anything got destroyed other then the tarp...

T </font>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I got a 1 car version of one of those things so I could get my buggy out of the sun for working on it. The same night I put it up we had the biggest wind storm anyone could remember in this area. We had what is called a "micro burst". Broken tree limbs everywhere, and knocked the neighbors mesquite tree completely down. I managed to save it only because shortly before the worst hit, I went out in the storm and tied the canopy to the truggy... Good luck!

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

damn foreigners! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif try living on the east coast....hurricanes. it's all in how you strap it down. some 1/8" stainless steel cable would hold things down comfortably. here, we can't build something unless it conforms to the "codes". we have mandatory hurricane straps and other little rules that we have to go by.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well we're up here in PA and NJ, even we aren't used to it. By the time Hurricanes get here they are just tropical storms that aren't much. Most "hurricanes" that get here seem to dissappear into heavy rain by the time they get inland to me. I can't rememeber when we've had constant hard wind like this.