Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn Wipers!! ****UPDATE****

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Nov 19, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

They still go one by themselves. I've replaced the motor,and the arm on the column. I just ordered a new switch. My question is where is the wiper switch on a 84 with tilt style column???

Well I replaced the switch in the steering column,and that was the problem. They work agian YEEAAAA!!!

What a way to spend the day off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Damn Wipers!! *HELP*

I think that is caused by dirty contacts in the 'park' mechanism. It's been a few years since I had mine apart though./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

3. UseYourBlinker

so I take it that the switch is in the top of the column? I need to take the steering wheel and all the other crap off? Ugh... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh mine does that too, whenever i have the wheel not in the bottom two slots, it just sucks cuz i gotta look over the wheel to see the top of the speedometer but atleast the wiper dont work, try puttin your wheel in different positions and see if that changes it. It did on mine, and ive gotten used to the low wheel.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there's a chance that you have a short in the wiring in your steering column.

One of the first problems I had with my K5 long ago was "ghost wiper syndrome". Every so often, my wipers would come on for no reason at all. The problem became more frequent, and one day while I was driving I had the pleasure of witnessing a smoke show from behind the steering wheel. To make a long story short(no pun intended/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif), the coating on a couple wires at the pivot point in the column had worn off, causing my wiper issues. They ended up shorting out against eachother and frying the entire wiring harness in the column.

You don't want to hear this, but I would recommend you tear into the column and take a close look at all your wiring.

6. UseYourBlinker

****...the same thing happened to me. I bet that is what happened. I did see smoke come from the steering column. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

That wiper switch has the wiring harness, that runs the entire lenght of the column, attached to it. So whether it be the actuall switch, or the wiring, the new switch w/ harness should fix your problem.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The same harness powers your cruise control. If your truck is equipped with CC and it doesn't work either, chances are the problems lie in your wiring.

Keep your chin up, brother. I'm sure that right now you feel like your avatar, eh?/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

damn, thats where my Cruise control went!

10. UseYourBlinker

Update.. read original post! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear your ghost wipers went away finally! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif