Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damn Yankees! (rantish-type post)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Nov 9, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Well, this isn't entirely anti-Yankee, but here goes.

All this thinking was caused while I was at work today. I was working with the Bobcat in my old neighborhood, where I spent the first 12 years of my life, and after finishing up what we were doing, I loaded it back on the trailer and started to leave. As I was halfway out of the neighborhood, an older man was walking his dog down the road, and since one side of the street was blocked by another work truck, I stopped before I even got close to him. As he walked by, I waved at him, since that's the custom around these parts. If you pass someone close enough that you could talk to them, you wave, even if you don't know them. Call it Southern Hosipitality, call it being friendly, but that's just how it's done. Well, this older gentleman not only declined to wave, but gave me a nasty look. In MY neighborhood. In MY town. :mad:

^^WTF mate?!?!

Well, since I was in a company truck with logos all over it, I just drove off without giving him a second look (you know, got a company reputation to uphold). But it got me thinking: what is with people these days? Is it the fact that I am apparently an "unwashed" (manual laborer)? Is it the fact that I acknowledged his presence by waving? What's the deal? Even if he didn't feel like waving, the dirty look was totally uncalled for. And it seems like this happens to me more and more often. I hate to stereotype, but it seems like most of the time, these people are retired northerners. I just don't understand it, a wave and a smile ain't gonna hurt ya.

All of this brings me to another rant. What the hell are people thinking when they move down here and then try to make everything just like it was "back north"?! Seriously, I don't get it. People come down here on vacation, fall in love with the place, go back north, sell their house, and move down here, only to live in the same environment they did to begin with. What the hell's the point of moving if you're just gonna change your new home back to the way your old home was?! I mean Christ, save yourself the trouble, people! My dad told me the other day that 19 people move into the area a DAY. We're a small town with a very unique culture, and people love the place because it's quiet and "quaint." But with all these new people moving in with their ****ty attitudes and "Well, this is how we did it up north" way of living, it ain't gonna stay quiet and quaint forever.

Bottom line: If you don't like how we do things around here, GO THE **** HOME. :mad:

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

It's a cultural thing.. people up here can be uptight, unfriendly, and always in a rush. you should be happy he at least made eye contact with you.

I think it's all the snow that does it.

Tom

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I know what you mean. I'm enlisted in the AF, and in two years I'll finish my Electrical Engineering degree. However, I love wrenching. After working an 8-12 hour day, I'll spend another good 4-8 hours working up at the shop. I can't stand the looks some people give me when I'm wearing my shop clothes, hands/arms/face all with a substantial amount of dirt and grease on them.

I once confronted a couple at an Applebee's restaurant because they kept staring at me. They had the nerve to say I looked too dirty to be eating in a restaurant. I wanted to cuss them up and down, but I refrained. Surely enough, karma became my friend. When I went to leave, I noticed the man staring dumbly into the engine compartment of his Trailblazer.

I walked up and did my best thumb-in-front-pockets swagger, "Truck ain't startin'?" Surely enough it was one of the Trailblazers with a bad ignition switch. Slight disassembly of the steering column and a jumper wire later, I had it running.

"There's a recall on some of these ignition switches, you might want to take it back to the dealership" I told them.

So after informing them of the recall, starting their truck, and showing them how to start it. All I got was a "Thanks." No apology for the restaurant insult.
    :angry1::angry1:

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And you didn't bitch slap'm right then?:confused:

Back when I had hair, it was long and I worked as a mechanic. I walked into my home town bank to get a loan while in my uniform. I had done most of my banking there and had a few loans before. Well when I asked to see the loan rep they handed me a form to fill out and hand in. I sat for a half an hour and when the banker finally read my name on the form she came running out apologizing because she didn't reconize me. From that day on I told myself that I would always do my best to be friendly and not judge someone until I've had a face to face conversation with them or they did something personally to me.

Back to the topic I don't mind people moving down here but they do need to adapt or atleast respect our way of life. I'm with you Zen.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I are one......

I know the feeling you got !!..Try LIVING up here ,where most everyone is a surly,sarcastic Pekkahead!..you tend to become one yourself after awhile..its a result of the way of living up this way,and our upbringing..we were taught to keep quiet,mind your own bussiness,(not may followed that rule!),don't talk (or wave!) to strangers,and never trust ANY one!.. :D Yes,the weather doesn't help either..... we are always in a rush,and have no patience whatsoever... :rolleyes:

I dont fit the mold,I try to be friendly and help others,and I don't like rushing around....most of the time I get those dirty "drop dead" looks too,if I try being friendly,or try to start a conversation with someone I don't know,like in a store....your lucky that guy didn't flip you off!..if he came from around here he probably would have.

As for the guy in the resturaunt,I'd have laughed histerically when I saw him staring under his hood!.he probably was trying to figure out which black box was the battery!--I'd have told him "your too CLEAN to be working under a hood".. :D :haha: .. and "I hope I'M the guy who fixes your truck tommorrow at work!".. :wink1: ..people who judge others by appearences are often wrong--very wrong..

I know more "slobs" who are fine people than the ones who dress like Bill Gates are..I find the more money somone has around here,the more of an A$$ hole they usually are,especially to us "peasants" who have to work under them..

One thing for sure--if I ever move south,where people are friendly,and the weather is warm 90% of the year,my crappy attitude will be left behind in a snowdrift somewhere in southeast MA!..I'll be grinning from ear to ear,just to have gotten the hell away from here.. :D

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Me and my friends, we're some scrungy looking, and to a point, punk-ass looking kids. Some have long hair, facial piercings, tattoos, chains, fuzzy chin things, smoke, and generally have a menacing appearance. At some point, for kicks, we decided to see what reactions we got when we were perfect gentlemen to complete strangers- especially seniors. Generally, we get glares from old men, and glows from old women. A lot of surprise. One of my friends, who does have a spotted history, is 6'7", tattooed, pierced, and dresses scary, but has a heart of gold until someone pisses him off.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh impressions are something I don't need to touch. People always stare at me funny when I go to the gas station with no shirt one(tattoos in full view) and hold the door for them to go first.

I don't know how life is for you in the south but I know DAMN WELL how it is in small town yankee-land. I come from a small town that was once a farming community. Now it is more of a base for people who work in the city(Philly is about 45 minutes south). They do the samething, decide it would be nice to move out to the "country", then get pissed when they have to drive down roads that were cowpathes not too long ago. Or when they get stuck behind a tractor hauling hay bails.

The worst thing is the KIDS. Little pieces of **** that grew up in the city or near it and think they are tough hot ****. They talk about seeing cows like its something amazing, and saying how much the town sucks. I just want to spit in their faces. Fine, GO BACK TO PHILLY! I liked my town before those people came into it.

A few months ago I made the trip home, I decided to go for a night time drive around. I go into town to the gas station to grab a drink for my drive. I come out of the store and there are 2 little punks all thugged out, SCREAMING at girls that are parked in a car on the otherside of my car. As soon as I realize this is their way of trying to pick these girls up, I pulled the back of the beater I had down(show the back tattoo more), slowly get in my car, slam the door, turn on the key and instantly Mudvayne is blasting at the upper limits of what my stereo can do. I stared those punks in the eyes and they just shut up. I just can't stand whats happening anymore.

Umm yeah so anyway, its not just the south man, its happening everywhere, and if it isn't happening where you are yet, it will.

The worst are entitled yuppies. When I worked at the gas station I wouldn't give them the time of day. They are the people driving BMWs who get all huffy when some redneck in front of them takes a while to buy a pack of cigarettes. On more then one occassion I told them where to stick their attitudes. I had plenty of kind customers who could barely afford to buy the cigarettes they were addicted to, and these people who have everything they want can't take the time to be decent to other people, screw that.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I hear you on the yuppie thing, but I think asshole tweakers are worse, and we have plenty around here. Can you say meth?

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Don't get me started on that, I'm originally from Virginia; now living in Kansas. Several times a day I see some 'thugs'. I just want to yell "You're in ****ing Kansas!"

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

HAHAHAHAH! :haha: :haha:

I think the general consensus is that people are assholes.

Especially yankees :D :ignore:

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and proud of it