Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damned Intake!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Apr 1, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I changed my plugs and wires over the weekend. What I found was the 1,3,4 and 6 plugs were fouled sumpin fierce. I've also been burning oil at an alarming rate. I've been having to fill up the radiator a little too much too. Anyway I still had the "miss" I was trying to chase down. I took some carb cleaner and found the engine raced as I went down the sides of the intake manifold. I found 6 loose bolts!!!!! What gives? I had the same problem over the summer. I cranked the bolts down and it leaks even worse now, I assume its warped but can an Edlebrock be planed at all? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a new one? Any other ideas? If I remember right the torque specs were only 25 lbs. I think Inned to use some loctite. Any preference on gaskets? And who wants to come over and do this for me? Pizza and beer!!!!!!! c'mon over!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've had lot's of problems with Edelcrap. I'd recomened a DART 2 or HOLLEY intake manifold. While you're at it, TORK PLUS makes a real good set of intake manifold gakkets. I buy mine through JEG'S, cheaper prices.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my Edelbrock - I ended up using Fel Pro gaskets and putting serrated washers under the bolts with a dose of blue Loctite, after that it never did it again/forums/images/icons/smile.gif - I just ordered an EGR compatible Performer for the new one today, so this time I'll do it right to begin with/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW - where's the pie from?

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

there is a special pattern to tighten em in also , chiltons manual will tell ya , or the edelbrock papers ....

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

OK heres the deal. I am going to take it off on friday and take it down to the machine shop and let them tell what they can do with this thing. The motor is an 88 350 so the heads two center bolts are straight up and down so the intakes are automatically twice as much as the older style. Hopefully they can correct the situation and I can use a thicker gasket. Does anyone make a retainer bolt like they have for headers??????? Heys Pugs, you ever have a pizza from Zachary's by the U of A??? That stuff is killer!

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Good stuff there!! I've been into Oregano's lately - went there with some guys from work a couple weeks ago and have been hooked ever since/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Mmmmmm......16" sausage pesto/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

The Edelbrock instructions say: "Do not use soft competition type intake gaskets for street applications, as deterioration and internal leakage may occur. Do not use Fel-Pro Permatorque (blue) gaskets, as they have insufficient crushability for use with aluminum manifolds. Use Edelbrock gasket set #7201 or Fel-Pro Printoseal #1256, or OE equivalent when installing Edelbrock manifolds for street applications." I copied this directly from the instructions, so I know its correct. Also, use some blue Loctite on the bolts and some gasket sealer such as Edelbrock Gasgacinch, cat no. 9300, on both sides of the gaskets to ensure a good seal. You're right about the torque at 25 ft-lbs. Hope this helps.

Will

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Either I am on a streak or am lucky.
    I have used nothing but Ebrock manifolds .
    headers do not give me any problems either.
    What are ya'll doing to get such fawked results?
    Good god what are ya'll doing to screw it up?
    I put my crap together and it stays together, What gives?
    The intake on my K5 is an old Edelbrock, it has been on there for ever and it is trouble free.
    I have had 10 gm rigs and all have had the Ebrock treatment.
    I have installed countless others and never had a problem.
    Fel -pro gasgets is all I use and never have I had a come back.
    Now headers .. Collecters are a problem, but since I started using the copper collecter gasgets I have been good to go.
    4 years on one set.
    My headers don't leak either.
    and all I use is the Mr gasget ones.
    Although those are the only places my exhaust don't leak. LOL

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Man, why're you making me feel so bad! You're just LUCKY that's all. At least I can say my collectors never leak./forums/images/icons/wink.gif I dunno, one of these days I'll figure it out. I went out this morning tinkering around and the bolts were loose AGAIN!!! I'm buying new bolts, and loctite. I'll kick its ass YET!!

10. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Try an impact wrench and/or JB weld...
    or
    I'll trade you my stock intake for it.....

Just kiddin!
    Seriously, I have not had many problems with intakes, but I try to use locktite or, at the very least some silicone on the bolt threads. Seems to work for me.

Good Luck!