Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Damned Tailgate =/

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, May 11, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My tailgate is extremley hard to get down!
    I have to stand on the hitch, pull the lever, push in, pull up, and pull out like all at the same time and it sometimes doesnt want to come down. Like its stuck or lodged or something? Anyone have any ideas? Its a pain in the @ss to get down =(
    Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Elbow grease is what you need...

First measure the width of the opening at the top edge of the tailgate and at the bottom. Sometimes the box sides spread which causes the latches to bind.

The latch inside the gate also has problems. There is a tab and a small rod that bends and deflects. This causes the latch not to release until the handle is pulled all the way out.

The other thing you should probably do is lube everything after using PB blaster on all the moving parts including the hinges at the bottom of the gate.

Rene

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I got my Jimmy the tailgate was like that. I found one striker set to far forward creating a slight twist when the tailgate latched.