Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 20 T-case info

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jonm, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jonm

jonm Newbie

I have a dana 20 3 speed combo at my cabin. I know the dana 20 came behind both the sm465 and the 3 speeds in the early blazers so will a dana 20 off a 3 speed bolt up to a sm465. Are the input gears the same and/or the output splines on the 3 speed and 4 speed transmission shafts?
    How long is the sm465 to dana 20 adapter?
    the reason I ask is I'd like to run a 465/dana 20/ divorced 205 for 4:1 reduction. Since I have the dana 20 at teh cabin I figured I'd use it almost as a range box and remove the front drive portion and just operate it in N 4HI and 4LO..
    Thanks

2. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I had a 3 spd/D20 combo in my truck at first after I converted it to 4WD. I wanted to use a SM465 with the D20 'cause it had granny gear. From what I understand, the 3 spd/D20 combo only came in 6 cyl. applications and everything with 8 cyl. got the SM465/NP 205 combo. I don't think the SM 465 ever came mated with the D20.

Will

3. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

mine sure did and mine came with the factory 307 sm456 dana20 combo. just swapped it out with a new adapter and 205. i like the idea of the transfer case combo but you might run into lenth complications with driveshafts the adapter is about 6-7 inches long alone and i have one with the drive sleve for 100 plus shipping if you want it! any other ?'s are welcome

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I guess I got bad information. They say you learn something new everyday and now I know!

Will

5. jonm

jonm Newbie

did your dana 20 have a female or male input shaft?

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

it's like nothin i've ever seen it's like the input shaft came out with it and stayed on the adapter but thats the way it's supposed to come out. it just left a big hole in the transfercase. i'll take some pics this weekend this weekend if you pm and remind me!

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if it had male or female input shaft. I don't have it anymore. And I never separated it from the 3-spd. when I did have it. Sorry I can't help you.

Will