Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 24 TC - any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine found a divorced ford dana 24 in the junkyard this week. It operates smoothly and is in great shape. Looks very similar to a 205. We have been discussing the possibility of using this with his 241 to produce a "doubler" setup with two cases. Any thoughts?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What type of vehicle will it be in? If drivetrain length isn't an issue I don't see why it couldn't be done. I don't know if that Dana 24 will do it, but I had an old Ford that had a Dana 21 two speed (read hi/low) xfer case that had a 2 low between Neutral and 4-low, I think. Its been a while.

Kris

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The truck he's thinking about dropping it in is a 1964 sub thats sitting on a shortened 1976 truck (4x4) frame. We discussed possibly going with a drivers side-drop axle (jeep or ford) up front.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If you were going with a driver side drop, it wouldn't be that hard to find an axle, not around here anyhow. Usually cheaper too. If it would fit, I don't see why not trying it. Take a few measurements. Seems like all you'd really need is a crossmember, a half shaft to connect the two xfer cases, shifter/linkages for the second xfer case, and obviously drive shafts.

Kris

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How would you connect to the 241 ? Would need a plate with a seal of some sort to keep the fluid in the 241 .

What can be done , if supported bt bushings and not hard mounted , is a passenger drop 208/241 , directly into a drivers drop 32 spline 241 . You just need to have connecting tube/adapter made with the round pattern on both sides . The 208/241 have a 32 spline output for the slip yoke that slides right into a 32 spline input .

Ask Marv , he did it :D

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If the 24 is divorce mounted, all you would need would be a super short drive shaft between the two cases, correct? Thats how the divorced 21 on my old was setup from the factory.

Kris

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

there's one on eBay right now, they look pretty stout. I have a divorced NP202 and am thinking about doing something similar.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You have to work out how you're going to couple the 241 to the Dana 24 ....splined sleeve?

IMO, test it's torque-handling first in a longer rig where you can run the 241 and 24 with a driveshaft between them. (Before investing in some kind of adapter arrangement).

9. pauly383

The 241 is female on the input , and without the adapter in front of it , fluid would come out .

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The idea is to keep it divorced. As a matter of fact, we discussed using just a single u-joint between the two cases. Any movement between the two would be bad, but the 241 uses a slip joint and would allow a little movement. Basically mount the two together without an adapter - a "poor mans" doubler.

There's no problem fabricating the crossmembers, etc. We also have the original stub shaft from the donor vehicle ~early 70's ford.

I'll have to measure, but I think the jeep 44 is narrower than the chevy. I'll be looking at parts today.

11. pauly383

Maybe I wasn't picturing it right then , you are putting the 241 first ? that would work with the slip yoke and a u-joint then :D

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Exactly. He is definitely not afraid to try something new. Should be interesting if he goes that route!

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There are at least two different track width FSJ D44 front axles. The wider one is about the same width as the '73-'91 GMs. Seeing as how you have the wheel base to do it it souds like the cheapes way to get a doubler. A short drive shaft with the stick slip yoke would be perfect. I'd use an NP205 for the second case, though. Sounds like any easy way to save about $2000. (no need for a doubler and 3:1 range box)