Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 / 10-bolt axle shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, Apr 25, 2000.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Feb 24, 2000
    I have a '90 K5 with a front 10-bolt that came with 30 spline shafts from the factory. On a recent trip I broke an axle u-joint (due to lack of maintenance on my part), and of course it messed up the yokes. I have been trying to find a junkyard with these shafts but since the 30 spline front 10-bolt was only made a couple of years there are really rare. My question is, has anybody used Dana 44 shafts in a front 30 spline 10-bolt? I know Fourwheeler magazine did this on the project Blazer with no problems noted (I'll have to go home and re-read the article), but does anybody else have experience with doing this. I know the pressure angle of the inner splines is a little different and the new Warn catalog lists a slight length difference on the inner shafts for their chromoly ones (the 28 spline 10-bolt vs. GM Dana 44). The outer shafts are the same.
    Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions..........
  2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Apr 10, 2000
    I've got a 10 bolt 30 spline axle on my '89 right now. I'm putting 3/4 ton diffs under there in early June. If you want the axle or parts let me know where you are and we'll work out a price.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*