Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44/ 10 bolt interchangable?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAY, Jul 9, 2001.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does any one know if the hubs, bearings and rotors from a '84 10 bolt work on a '73 dana 44? Also, can this axle be swapped into a '84 k5 without moving the spring perches.
    Thanks,
    Ray

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Everything should work fine. Spring perches are the same.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure if you use the hubs, rotors, backing plates from the '84, you use the spindle too. Your '73 spindle is an older design and uses smaller wheel bearings. It won't work on the newer parts. But if you reuse the '84 spindle with everything else, you will be just fine.

You will have no trouble with the perches. Matter of fact, you can use a Ford front axle, too! And some Dodges. Just the fact that many other different vehicles have the same distance between perches, makes for some pretty interesting swaps for those who want to be creative! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    " Does any one know if the hubs, bearings and rotors from a '84 10 bolt work on a '73 dana 44? "

No they will not. BIG NO.

5. thatK30guy

Ok wise-ass, now why won't they work? Tell me in your specific words, your best explaination why they won't work? Don't forget who you are talking to! [​IMG]

6. thatK30guy

Well, I'm still waiting for your explaination Executioner.........

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. we're all waiting...
    Wes is the guru on all this...
    Ray.. we shouldn't have a problem finding your axles tomorrow... ton's of 4x4 trucks around here in the salvage yard..
    I even know where a rough country 4 inch lift kit is!!!! On a truck in the wrecking yard we're going to !!!! [​IMG].

A well armed society is a polite society.UPDATED <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I just did this swap with an early 44 and a late model 10 bolt .I swapped every thing from the knuckles out off of the 10 bolt and bolted it to the 44 knuckles.The 44 knuckles I used have the tie rod go in on top.It makes the tie rod a few inches higher.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

He's probably busy fixing the factory posi in his front 12-bolt axle.

10. thatK30guy

[​IMG] ROTFLMAO!!!

Or, he is probably busy looking inside the differentials with that $200.00 scope!!! [​IMG]

11. Executioner

" Does any one know if the hubs, bearings and rotors from a '84 10 bolt work on a '73 dana 44? "

No they will not. BIG NO.

I think you already answered it in your post !
    73 used a smaller inner bearing, therfore the hubs have different races, as well as the spindle .

12. thatK30guy

Go reread my post again!!! I told him to reuse the spindle from the 84 along with the other stuff!!! I explained to him the smaller bearing on the 73, THATS WHY I TOLD HIM TO USE THE 84 SPINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

now now children can't we all just play nice, besides with a big enough hammer you can make anything fit together!. BTW wes, Since you say dodge front ends have the same distance as a chevy, does this mean I can bolt a Dana 60 front end from a dodge right into my blazer for the most part?

You call that dirty!?

14. thatK30guy

I have never messed with a Dodge axle of any sort. Just from what I have heard, some will bolt right in, but the D60 is something that really needs to be explored. I have heard the perch differences are minimal. Some have said they bolt right in, and some others have said they were a tight squeeze to get in. I really don't know how much difference there is compared to a GM D60. I do know some other members on this site are running Dodge D60's under their trucks. To find some answers and solutions to this question, make a post on this forum and see what kind of mixed reviews you can get. Believe me, you WILL get some mixed reviews! [​IMG]

15. Executioner

Sure, I'll reread,but only if you will !

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

thatk30guy, I've heard the Dodge spring perch location is about 2 inches off. No big deal on the passenger side, but the driver's side spring perch location is a part of the housing. I imagine with a big enough hammer and a small enough brain it could be forced together, but I wouldn't want to drive that truck.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

17. thatK30guy

What kind of reply was that?

You must be illiterate. You always reply in short answers. Whats wrong? Cant read the long answers or replies?

Why should I have to reread my post? I'm the one who made the post. DUH! Give my your phone no. and I will read that post OUT LOUD to you!