Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44/10 bolt parts interchange

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, Mar 14, 2000.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure of the answer, but I just wanted to double check..
    First, I've got a '90 K5 which has 30 spline 10-bolts front and rear. After doing some research it seems as if the 30 spline front 10-bolts were only offered from around '89 or '90 until '91 in K5's and Subs, so needless to say they are a bit hard to find in junkyards. I want to find some used front axles to carry as spares until I can afford the chromoly ones, so I was thinking of getting some 44 axles. Project Stinky in Fourwheeler magazine did this and supposedly they work okay.....anyone have any additional experience on this??
    Secondly, do the spindles, hubs, and rotors interchange between a Dana 44 and 10-bolt (6 lug Chevy of course)?? I'm pretty sure the hubs and rotors will work but I'm not positive about the spindles. Again, this would just be to carry as spares. I thought I could just buy a complete 44 and strip it down for the parts.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Every thing from the knuckle out can be swapped including the knuckle, spindal and stub. The inner axles are the same length but the splines are the problem. D44 had 30 the 10 bolt had 28 and thats the first I have heard that any 10 bolt came factory with 30 splines but with GM anything is possible. Dana is the company that assmebeled the 10 bolt under contract from GM so they share many parts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I think you're right Grim. My understanding is that the REAR 10-bolt in 89-91 has the 30-spline upgrade but I don't think the front does. From what I've seen, the front is still 28 spline.

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, there was a 30 spline front 10-bolt from the factory (my '90 does have factory 30 spline front shafts). I researched this when I installed new gears and a posi in the front about 2 years ago. The local GM parts department can verify this is the parts books, which is how I decided to go ahead and order a 30 spline posi unit as none of the big mail order gear suppliers knew for sure. I've also have talked with Steve Watson of ORD about this and plan on sending him a photo next time I pull the axles to replace the u-joints. Again, I'm pretty sure '90s and '91s had 30 spline fronts, or at least some of them did.......as Grim said, it's hard to tell with GM.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The axle shafts between the 30 spline 10 bolt and dana 44 are not the same. The pitch of the spline is different. Sure it will work, but it will not last. Buy the correct shafts as spares.

ken

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I got 12 bolts front and rear, and Eaton Posi front and rear, and its all stock from gm on my 90 Blazer.
    Oh ya there are built by Dana under a special deal. Please don't tell anyone, because they are the best
    axles in this world.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 12 bolt front?!?!?! Cough (BS)

Post a pic of that. I want to see it with my own eyes. I also want to see a pic of the build sticker in the glovebox.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: 12 bolt front?!?!?! Cough (BS)

I'm with Grim....I've never seen or heard of a 12-bolt front axle, and GM stopped using the 12-bolt rear axle back in the early '80s, except for the CUCV (military version K5) up to '86 or so. I have also never heard of a factory front posi in GM's......

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

FourWheeler addressed the difference in the splines, but they do fit and in a later article when they replaced them with the ORD chromoly shafts there was no apparent adverse wear on them....that they could see. I'll admit that I'm a little hesitant, but junkyard front 30 spline 10-bolt axles are quite elusive.......and I don't want to shell out the cash for new ones from the dealer....

10. Marlboro

Marlboro Registered Member

Hmmmm,

Sorry, The only two axles available are Dana44 and 10 Bolt for the front from the factory. There is one possibility, but man would it be expensive. A Reverse rotation 12-bolt with all of the steering gear welded from a D44 put onto it (Requires an expert welder). There is one guy here in AZ that did that, but after looking at the cost, I'd rather throw a D60 from a 1-ton up there.....

Regards,

Mike