Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 / 12 Bolt Swap & Rebuild questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BJarvis354, May 14, 2003.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

I wanted to get rid of my 10 Bolts with 2.73s so I bought a D44 and 12B out of a '77 Blazer (with shorter gears hopefully) from another CK5er to swap into my '89 K5. I have searched and have been reading the Dana 44 rebuild made easy by uglychevyZZ4 in the previews section, and I have some questions...

1) I read several times that I might as well replace the seals and bearings while I have the axle out so do I need to buy a complete master install kit (~$80 to $100 with shipping)? Or could I spend less buying only the parts I need individually?

2) I can't seem to find a definative answer on using my old 10 Bolt yoke in the 12 Bolt. Some say it can be done others say its no-good. Should I just get the hybrid u-joints and call it done?

3) Do I need a special u-joint for the Dana 44?

4) U-bolts...I am going to call ORD for these...

5) Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks! - Brady

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

new lube in em, and check the brakes front and rear. and wheel bearings in the front, dont forget wheel joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rebuild the outers. Wheel bearings, races, etc. Replace the axleshaft ujoints. Drop the cover and inspect the bearings around the R&P. Check for movement. A front axle shouldn't have that many miles on it so you might not have to replace the carrier bearings and such.

The 10 bolt yoke should fit your 12 bolt rear. DesertDueler told me he did that when he swapped his axles.

No special ujoint for the D44

Ubolts: ORD or local spring or suspension shops usually carry them too.

A master install kit is for the gears and the bearings around the gears themselves. The wheel bearins and such aren't part of that kit.

Turn the rotors and get new brake pads.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have to get new ubolts The one's off of your 10 bolts should work

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I've done tons of research on the old 10-12 bolt yoke problem..I'm in the middle of it right now. The problem is that no body can find me a pinion seal part number that will work. The number floating around here is just a stock 10 bolt one and it doesn't fit into the 12 bolt housing. If you find it, let me know.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

PM DesertDueler. He did it. He might be able to help you out on an application or part number for that.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

the cr19277 will work, i matched up both seals, i has the outter for the 12 bolt, and the inner for the 10 bolt, i just havent gotten around to doing it yet, and i dont wanna [censored] up my bearing preload on my 12 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BJarvis354

[ QUOTE ]
    You shouldn't have to get new ubolts The one's off of your 10 bolts should work

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured the diameter of the new axles was similar, but wasn't sure...Also I am not completely sure I should re-use the old u-bolts. I do alot of rigging and such and feel that anything that old should be replaced once removed since retorquing could result in failure. I was thinking of getting ORDs upside down bolt kit anyways.

Anyways the more I plan, the more I realize it would probably be wise to put new springs in, do a shackle flip, put in greasable bearings, etc! This is gonna be a much bigger and better project than I first thought! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Brady

9. BJarvis354

[ QUOTE ]
    the cr19277 will work, i matched up both seals, i has the outter for the 12 bolt, and the inner for the 10 bolt, i just havent gotten around to doing it yet, and i dont wanna [censored] up my bearing preload on my 12 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HMM....I might not want to try it either if the preload on mine looks good. Maybe I will just go with the hybrid joint... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif