Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44/14 Bolt ff Ring and pinion install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sf_wood, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

does anyone know where I can get detailed instructions on how to set these up with detroit in rear and truetrack in front. All new parts! I have all the tools, but i have never done it before. Around here they want $750- just for the install! So i figured I'd try it myself. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thanks.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your asking about seting up the lockers thats the easy part. A detroit for the 14bolt just replaces the spiders and crosspins. When you remove the ring gear the carrier splits apart. Remove spiders and crosspins, send them to me and just place the detroit in the carrier. Put ring gear back and its done. The truetrac just replaces the whole carrier. Press your new bearings on and bolt the ring gear to it and your done. :xmas:

3. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

what i need is how to setup gears.backlash?

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok then, try the search feature using "setting backlash".

5. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Are you doing ring and pinion swap also? Because backlash is only some of it. Pinion depth is the key. The master install kit should come with a pamphlet(?) that will help along with the factory service manual and some research to understand how it all works. I have done many many diff set ups and you must know what you are doing to get your money worth out the purchase price of the parts. If you have the tools, you're set. Just post up your paint (the gear pattern shown by painting on the gear compound and rotating the pinion all the way around the ring gear, both drive and coast).

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

you will need a dial indicator to get the proper backlash indication. I did my first gear install last fall. You said you have the tools you will also need time and patiance. Randy's ring and pinion has a video that I watched and it is helpful.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Youll need:
    Dialindicator, micrometer, good 1/2" impact, 2 BIG prybars, setup bearings (for the carrier), press, bearing puller, marking compuund, brass hammer, big hammer, big punch, shims, somehitng to spin the 14b adjusters (the correct tool meakes it easy as pie), and all the assorted basic sockets and such.

If your just gonig to put lockers in then youll need to check backlash, put the ring gear on the locker, bearings and shims, then put it back in, backlash shouldnt change.
    For the rear, check the backlash, take out the carrier, put in the detroit and set the backlash to what it was, with proper preload on the bearings.

Dont forget to mark the caps!