Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 & 14FF questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 19, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Ok, I think I have asked before, but I can run 15" wheels on a 14 bolt and d44 right? As for the d44, I'll have to grind the brake calipers? Honestly, I don't want 16.5" wheels and would much rather stick with the 15's. I know the 15's will fit on the 14bolt, but I just want to know about the d44. Number two, can I take the manual hubs off my 10 bolt and use it on the d44? Number three, what steering mods will I have to do for the transition from the 10 bolt to D44? All replies are greatly appreciated! Later BOYZ!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can use 15" wheels on an 8-lug Dana 44 front but it will probably require some grinding on the calipers. Just remember that you are limited when it comes to 8-lug, 15" wheels and are stuck with steel. The 44 should be a direct swap when it comes to steering components and shouldn't need and modifications to bolt in.
    For the locking hubs, that's kind of a yes and no answer......it depends of what style of Dana 44 you have. Some early 44's had what is called an external hub, while the 10-bolts have an internal hub. The external style hub has a much larger diameter with large bolts holding it on and the entire locking hub assembly is bolted on to the outside, while the internal style (that you currently have) just has small allen head screws holding the hub dial on with rest of the actual locking hub inside. They are pretty easy to tell apart once you have them next to each other. Generally, the internal style is considered to be stronger.

3. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

Wow! You mean the internal hubs are stronger than the external hubs? The externals looks way more beefy to me, but I haven't really gotten to thrash them. I'm getting ready to swap in a 14 and 44hd, and my 44hd has a pair of brand new Warn Premium external hubs. Would my external Premiums be as strong as a standard set of internals? Thx.

Stupid hurts

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ok, now the real question.......why are we stuck with steel wheels? This has bedazzled me for some time. I have seen a number of 3/4 ton trucks with aluminum wheels. Why don't you guys fill me in on this one, because I have no idea.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, I believe the internal style is stronger. The reason is that the internal locking hubs are contained inside the steel hub/rotor assembly, meaning that the parts don't have room to expand (which is what would happen if they broke). If you are familiar with Birfield joints in Toyotas and Suzuki Sammies, it's the same principle of the birfield rings which are pressed over the joints and greatly increase their strength.
    The external style is not are bolted on to the outside, so they don't have a strong steel outer support to keep them together. Most older CJ Jeeps use external hubs and it's pretty common for these to break. Companies such as Warn make upgrade kits that converts from the stock external style to the internal style to increase the overall strength.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're stuck with steel wheels because the material is thinner, aluminum wheels are thick and will eat up the clearance you'll need to get them over the front brakes. All the 3/4 ton trucks with aluminum wheels are 16" rims....

Also you'll be grinding parts of the backing plate for clearance as well as the caliper and depending on the offset you might have to grind a little or a lot.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Have you ever noticed that the 3/4 ton trucks never have 15" wheels?

The reason that steel fits and aluminum doesn't is that for the required strength, more Aluminum is needed than steel. Since the diameter that the tire rides on is fixed (15"), that means that there is more material on the inside, where it will hit your calipers and drums. BTW: Touching lightly on the drums is ok, since they rotate with the wheel. To fit Aluminum wheels on 3/4 ton brakes, you need a 16" or bigger wheel or run a ridiculous offset (now you can change brake pads without the hassle of removing the wheels [​IMG]).

The thing to do is just plan for this from the beginning and since most of us end up buying a set of wheels anyway, just buy bigger 8-lug ones the first time. The difference in cost is usually less than $15/wheel, and the tires for the bigger rims are usually $10-$20 more/each. I assume that this is why you want to stay 15", right?

The only solution I know of to run 15" aluminum wheels when swapping to 3/4 ton is to use a 6-lug 14B S/F and keep the 1/2 ton 6-lug brakes in the front. This yields less braking power than the full 3/4-ton brake setup, but it is better than the full 1/2 one. You can fix up those 1/2 ton front brakes a little too with the right pads and braided brake lines.

<font color=blue>"We have to take seriously the role in this problem of older men who prey on underage women..." Bill Clinton, 1996.</font color=blue>

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you look at those 3/4 tons running aluminum rims, I bet all are either 16" or 16.5" rims. The advantage of running 15" 8-lug rims over 16.5" rims is that the 16.5's do not have the inner bead lip, meaning that it is much easier for the tires to come unbeaded on the trail and especially at lower tire pressures. The advantage over the 16" rims is that there are still a rather limited number of sizes available in big off-road tires for the 16's, and 16" tires are generally more expensive.
    A third possible advantage is that if you already have a good set of 15" tires you would want to keep.

9. BLzr4x4ngkid

6.2 Blazer has a really good point. I bought a set of 16/35-15 Boggers from my friend today at lunch. They are BRAND new. He only wanted $600 for all 4. He ran them on his Blazer for a week and didn't like them as good as his 35" BFG's. He knows he took a big ass hit on the price. I couldn't help but to jump on the offer with that kind of price. As of now, looks like I'm going to have to stick with a 15" wheel. Oh, and another thing, I saw a lifted 3/4 ton Chevy truck at my mom's work. I'm not sure what year it was, but it had the round headlights. I just had to check it out. Well guess what? He was running 15" EA589's on his 3/4 ton axles. He had 35" BFG's and I thought maybe the rims were 16.5's, but I looked at the tire and the tires were 35-12.50-15. Ummm, so, how did this guy do this? Whatever this guy did, I better plan on doing the same, because I'm not giving up the tires or the axles. I'm not imagining this either. If any of you would like, I could probably go back tomorrow and take a pic of the truck. It's a darn nice truck too. Maybe I should leave him a note and ask him what he did to get the wheels on his truck.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You might want to double check on exactly what's on that truck. I have yet to even find an aluminum 15" wheel with the 8-lug pattern available from any of the manufacturers. If it does indeed have 15" 8-lug A/E 589s I think a lot of people would be very interested.

11. BLzr4x4ngkid

Hey man, I didn't think that the EA589's came in 8 lug either, but I went down to Bosley's Tires here in Wichita and they have a set of 8 lugs sitting there and can get them. I know that NTW doesn't have them, but I have seen them with my own eyes, so I know the exist.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Again, I would double check what size they are. The A/E 589's are available in either a 16.5" or 16" with 8-lugs, though I'm pretty sure you cannot get them in a 15" size with 8-lugs.

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

Would the 16.5" aluminums work though? I'd much rather not be stuck with a steel wheel if at all possible. I have seen the Bart Wheels and like the looks of the chrome ones. Everything is still in discussion though.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can not mount a 15" tire on a 16.5" rim.........

15. BLzr4x4ngkid

Who said anything about sticking a 15" tire on a 16.5" wheel? If I end up getting a 16.5" wheel, then I guess I'll have to sell the tires and buy some new ones huh? The other question is, could I get some 15x12 Bart Wheels on my axles?

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. You had just said in an earlier post you had bought the 15" Boggers, and then asked if 16.5" rims would work in this post. I figured you knew the answer, but I have talked to people who had no clue about different rim sizes and how the tire has to match.

17. BLzr4x4ngkid

Hahahaha.......I know how that goes. It's cool. I probably forgot that I said that about the tires. Working this third shift stuff is really messing with my head. I don't remember things I do and it's just really hard on my friends and family social life.

18. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Regarding if the hubs for a 10bolt will fit a d44 - the answer for me was no. I bought Warn Premium internal hubs for my d44 and when I put in the 10 bolt, the spline was was different AND the the groove for the retaining c-clip was completely in the wrong area - would not work.
    What &gt;I&lt; did was take the outer stubs shafts off the d44 and install them on the 10-bolt's inner axleshafts - works great and I needed new ujoints anyways.
    -- Mike