Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 8 lug, 15" steel wheels. Must I grind calipers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 23, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Dana 44 8 lug, 15\" steel wheels. Must I grind calipers?

Ok, I got some mixed advise. I'm swapping out my 10 bolt 6 lug front for dana 44 8 lug. Do I have to grind the calipers to make 15x10's steel fit? I just checked out the 8 lug 10 bolts used in the 3/4 ton burbans and they didnt seem to require any grinding to make the 15x10's fit. Thanks.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Dana 44 8 lug, 15\" steel wheels. Must I grind calipers?

<font color=blue>What wheel did you put over the brakes? My 15" wheels with 4" (standard) backspacing required some grinding, but you dont grind the whole top of the caliper. Only the outer half of the top of the caliper goes in the wheel (confused yet?). I test-fitted my spare rim with the calipers off. I had to take a little off the backing plate. Then I put the calipers on and ground until they were level with the backing plate. You dont have to grind the inner half of the caliper (the part closest to the center of the vehicle) so strength isnt compromised. I have been asked a lot about this, as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera, I'll pull a wheel and take a few pictures with some stock calipers for comparison.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

So, If I go with 3/4 ton 8 lug 10 bolts can I avoit the grinding or is it the same as with the D44's. Thanks.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I think with 3" backspacing you can get away without grinding, but that much backspacing kills your tuning radius..... not to mention your wheel bearings and ball joints. Numericly lower backspaing means the wheels stick out further, which means more leverage on the bearings. Go with the 4" backspacing and grind a little, it's not a whole lot and everyone I talked to was pleased with it and I am too. </font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 8 lug 10-bolts and Dana 44's use the exact same components from the knuckles out so both would require the same amount of grinding. Going with 3.5" backspacing (pretty common on aftermarket wheels) will help out some on the grinding and shouldn't hurt anything.