Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 and 10 bolt caliper question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rotten03, Apr 12, 2004.

1. rotten03

rotten03 Registered Member

I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on the search page. I have an '89 1/2ton Suburban and I'm in the process of swapping in a 14bff and a D44. The discs and calipers are pretty bad on the d44 and I was wondering if any of the brake components from my old frontend will swap onto the d44. I appreciate the help guys.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, assuming the D44 is 3/4 ton to match your 14 bolt FF rear, you WON'T be able to re-use your 10 bolt rotors. The rotors of a 3/4 ton are larger, but they aren't that expensive to replace.
    Now, you CAN use your calipers from the 10 bolt on the D44, and in fact I recommended it because you won't have to mess with banjo-bolt size problems, and you won't have to bleed the brakes (assuming you don't disconnect the brakeline from the caliper).

3. rotten03

Awesome man, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I knew I could deal with the rotors, I was mostly concerned with the calipers. Thanks for the advice.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Is the D44 front from a 3/4 ton?
    Because if it's like the 10 bolt, you may need new back plates also, when you go with the bigger rotors of the 3/4 ton, the backplates are a little larger to bring the caliper out more to make room for the larger rotors.

5. rotten03

Yeah the D44 is a 3/4 ton. Oh I have another question. The lockouts aren't like anything I have seen. They arent manual and they dont look like automatics. Is there a 3rd option, like fulltime lockouts or something? The end doesnt stick out like manuals, it's more like a cap and thats it. I guess I'm gonna have to switch them. Will the lockouts from my 10 bolt work on it?

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you mean just a stamped metal cap, it s from a truck w/ an NP203, ie full-time 4WD. The internal lock-outs will swap.