Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 and new tires or Dana 60 and run these? opinions please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 12, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifOk heres how it is, I installed my 4" BDS springs today with ORD Greasable shackles. I was getting ready to figure out what all I needed to bolt in my Dana 44 when I realized something. The parts Dana 44 I bought and was planning on transfering a lot of stuff from is second design, my Dana 44 is first design! Doh!! So now I'm sitting here and I thought of something. I could bolt in the parts Dana 44 for a bit and just run the K5 without 4x4. Then I can get a Dana 60(also 3" tubes same as d44 second to my knowledge) a little later. I've been conflicted about going with a D60 for a while. I'm doing most other stuff I want to do to the K5 so I've been thinking I should just do this now like the rest of it. Heres the deal, I was planning on getting new tires for the K5. I want 37 MT/Rs but was worried about breakage. I'm thinking spend the money I had planned for tires on a Dana 60 and just wear my 32s completely out. That should get me through winter. By then I should have a better job and be pulling down some more money. Then I could get my 37 MT/Rs or whatever my heart desires at that point. Or should I just get the very few parts I need for my Dana 44 and run like 35s and hope I don't break it? My dad's opinion is run the Dana 44 till it breaks then go Dana 60 but he doesn't get that breaking in teh middle of a trail isn't as simple as throw it in 2wd and get back out and home.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1066003075sled_dog">

Dana 44 and new tires or Dana 60 and wear mine out?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Dana 60
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Dana 44
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I vote for the D44. If all you're going to use is 12.50 wide tires, keep the D44 and save your money for the '60 later...you might not ever need it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I need to investigate the Dana 44 situation more. I want a front locker and don't know if front locker is a good idea on the 44. Biggest tires I would even consider right now would be 38x12.50 TSLs. And I have no intention of that. either 37x12.50 MT/Rs, 35x12.50 MT/Rs, 36x12.50 TSLs, or 35.5x11.50 TSLs(Q78s).

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm....

I blew apart a D44 on 33" AT's with an open diff. Stripped every tooth off of both spider gears and most of the teeth off the side gears. Some food for thought for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think I'm gonna run the Dana 44, and 32s I have right now till after winter. Then I will go D60 and new tires or just new tires.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Just think of the "Cool" factor you get with the D60

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When in doubt...go bigger. That applies to tires, diff's and gears IMO.

Once you have the 60 it'll always be there for you, the D44 is more like a whiny high maintannce woman /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Go for the D60 now. You can get through winter with 32's. Save the D44 caliper brackets for your 14bFF /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have decided now. I'm gonna do a mixture. Keep the Dana 44 for winter and run the 32s. Then after winter new tires AND Dana 60. Won't be doing an real wheeling between now and then anyway just driving it as my transportation. and you can use dana 44 caliper brackets on a 14 bolt FF?? Both mine are half ton 44s. I will be running 8 lug rear rims and 6 lug front most likely.

10. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

buy a dana 60 with your tire money, then sell your dana 44's and buy some used 37's. i picked my 37" SSR's for 100 bucks they're not new but...this will solve all of your problems.