Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DANA 44 and Tie rod Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Oct 17, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Ok so I swapped a DANA 44 that had 2.76 out (a 1978 model) and put in a DANA that had 3.73 (a 1976 model) now my u-joint bolts wont screw in. They are too small. Does anybody know where I can get the correct bolts? Will I also need new clamps? (I think that is what you would call them) Also I put in a rock rod and all new tie rod and drag link ends. Does anybody know what the torque on these should be? Or will just really tight work?

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

When I swaped out my 10 bolt for a 44 I had this problem.My 10 bolt(81) had straps holding the u joint to the yoke and the 44 (74) takes u bolts to hold it to the yoke.Napa carrys the little u bolts. As for the torque on the tie rod ends I just get mine real tight .Dont know the spec though.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Are the holes in the yoke threaded?

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I don't remember? The 78 Dana 44 is. So I am guessing that the second one is not since yours wasn't and 74 is the same design as 76. As far as where the stabilizer mounts and such. I will have to check before I go buy them.

SummitXMK

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

From what I remember from installing my '74 D44, I think the Vans part # is UJ545 for the U-joint straps and nuts; you'll need two of them since only one comes in a package??
    They are U-Bolts (like a giant U staple with threaded ends)

I will try and dig up the part # when I get home if you still need it.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You sure the 78 wasn't a corp 10 bolt? (the diff cover is a different shape) I just swapped a D44 for a 10 and the boss that the large U-Bolt on the Passengerside is a different shape. If you hit a 4x4 shop have them get the the Rancho U'bolts the big one is the longer one so that it will fit either axle. Then just cut off the excess.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. Stoopalini

Hey Grim, pretty sure he's talking about the U-Bolts for the U-Joint ..... are you thinking the U-Bolts for the springs??

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

8. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

The Part Number would be great! Also I promise it is a DANA44 and it has a 12 bolt rear. (I'm going to rant now!) No matter what the computer tells the parts guys. This is all the original equipment. The axles have never been swapped and neither have the gears!! My Dad bought this brand new in 1978 and I got it from him. Sorry just had to rant. The guy at the part store gave me this long winded holyer than though speach because his computer told him I can't have a 12 bolt in my Blazer. All I wanted was a damn gasket so I could change my diff oil. It really wasn't that big of a deal. I almost took him my jocky box so he could read the codes but I've calmed down now. Thanks for all your help guys!!

9. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I just want to restate that my tyrade is not inteded towards anyone on this site. I had just gotten back from the parts store and was not in a good mood. You guys are always nice and EXREMELY helpful. Thanks again!!!

10. Stoopalini

I still have the part number for the U-joint straps written down. It's actually UJ-B2B not 545.

The part # is good at Vans. It's one of those 'HELP' type products. Just go to Vans and walk the floor to look for them. The UJ-B2B is written right on the package. Remember to get two of them.

Good luck,

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

11. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot!!!

12. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Ya know, when you go to parts store, the people behind the counter are supposed to serve you- and ask you what WANT.... not TELL you what you need...unless, of course, you dont know. The factory did (and will do) strange things based on what part(s) they have at their disposal. The 12 bolt rear axle was used in the trucks and blazer/jimmys up till around 1981...if I'm not mistaken.

thebigdaddyof2

13. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I ahve personally seen a 12 bolt in the rear of an 80 model truck.

Tell that parts punk to come outside and identify your axle. Bet he can't tell a 12 bolt from a Dana 60 without counting the bolts. Heck, he probably doesn't even know to count the bolts LOL!

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ahhh my mistake. I misread it. That's weird though. I just swapped a 10 from about 81 for my D44 and I know that I used my old straps. Course the guy I was doing the swap with also peice parts till he gets it to work so it may have had a different Yoke on it. Hard to say.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper