Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 44 axle ujoints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alf4444, Jan 13, 2005.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Looks like I need to replace mine but here lies the question which ones to get CTM, OX, or are spicers good enough I'm thinking ox for the price but???

Who has the best price on these?

2. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Tough call! I just put CTM's with Warn axles in my d44 with 8 lug conversion. Serious $$ though. ( screw retirement anyway:D ). Just decided I'd rather not take the time to replace them on some muddy trail somewhere! I figure with 37's they should hold up OK if I don't go too crazy with the right foot. However, I don't have any experience with OX either.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What is your setup on your truck?

I say run Spicer 5-760x ujoints. They are the strongest factory ujoint on the market beside the custom stuff (CTM, OX, etc). As long as you aren't abusing your truck you should be ok. The cost of a CTM or OX is not justified if you are running stock axleshaft.

I am running 35" tires and I rock crawl my K5 and they are holding up fine for me sofar (knock on wood). I have a lightish driving style though. I have seen 760's break on a truck with 36" tires and a heavier driving style in the rocks.

Harley

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

OX is out. Pirate had a link to their estate auction. Don't know why but I don't think they will be able to replace any joint for a while (as in not making any more). CTM's are only complimented by superiors anything less will become a weak link and kill the CTM in the process. I am a fan of the new cold forge spicer stuff (760's) myself. If you are going to run stock shafts that is the ticket.

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

D44 Joints

Look into the Yukons....(Randy's Ring & Pinion)

I just bought a pair, but have yet to install them...

Time will tell.:dunno:

Marv

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I ordered spicers to get me by for now!

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have an ox ujoint and a ctm u joint on my D44. Here is the problem that lies within. I have chromoly front shafts and an ARB locker. All strong components. Now where does the weak link lie? Your Ring and Pinion is the answer. The R&P was destroyed when I bout the axle (Dana parts). So if I were to do it all over again I would go with a spicer, that way it usually will break before evrything else does, usually.....You can by at least 6 front spicers for the price of one ctm. Just some food for thought:)

8. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Right on Stallion85. Keep the weak link at an easily replaceable part. The spicer u-joint has got to be your best choice. Next choice is Dana 60 in my opinion.

9. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Working on the d60:D

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are running Chromoly axleshafts you should run CTM or Ox joints. If you break a standard joint in a Chromoly axle you will likely turn the axle into junk too, and they manufacturer will not warranty it. So you are then with left with an expensive piece of Chromo trash because you didn't use the good ujionts with the good axles.

Harley

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've got CTM's with my superior axles in my D60. They have held up so far. If you are running stock axles,I'd go with the cold forged spicer Ujoints. You can get either of these from ORD.