Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Nov 30, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its going to be a reallll long time before I swap out to 1-ton axles, so I want to make my Dana 44 strong enough to last until then. So far it has new ring and pinion gears, bearings, seals and Warn hubs. I was considering doing the axle shafts too. I saw that Moser just came out with some 44 axles and Warn does the expensive chromemoly ones. What have you guys done???

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

How much are you spending on all these upgrades? Seems like alot of $$$ going into an axle your not going to keep. I have talked to a few local wrecking yards, and it seems that most of them will them(if they have one in stock)for around $1100-1300. That can't be far off your upgrade #'s. Just curious, not critical. I have the 3/4 ton d44 now, but would love to upgrade myself!

[​IMG]

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to keep the axle, just not forever. I'm talking in between 2-3 years, since I have new 6 lug, 15 inch wheels, tires, etc. And the junkyards here suck for trying to find Dana 60's.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

ORD has the chromoly axles with lifetime warranties. These would probably be your best bet.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The upgraded moly shafts run about $500. Just save that $500 for your Dana 60, which won't be too much more.

ken

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Or just carry a couple of spares. You can pick 'em up cheap if you shop around a bit. Unless you're beating the bejeezus out of your truck, broken axle shafts should be few and far between.

One idea is to buy a couple of spare shafts, then install them in your driveway to make sure they fit. Then just carry your old ones as spares, because you know they'll fit if one breaks out in the middle of east nowhere! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com