Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 Carrier Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MoonMan, Feb 12, 2006.

1. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

Yesterday, while replacing ball joints on my 1973 Dana 44 (K20), I wanted to replace my inner axle shaft seals. In trying to do so I could not get the carrier to come out. As per a search I found that i simply needed to mark and remove the bearing caps then pry out with a bar or large screwdriver. Well short of pretzeling the bar or shooting the carrier across the room I stopped because it was that tight in the housing. Also, with as tight as the carrier was I was concerned that once I got it out I may not be able to get it back in. The carrier turned fine btw.

So, what do I need to do to remove the carrier from the housing? Do I need to use a case spreader?

Also, while I was in there I found one of my spider gears didn't like all its teeth so I have to now replace at least one spider. Does anyone have any good sources for new spiders and any info on putting one in. It looks as though I have to remove the ring gear to get the cross pin out. Any recommendations on how to do this?

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've got a tight case requiring a spreader.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If your case would have come out fairly easy it would have meant you did not have enough pre-load on the carrier bearings - so think of it as a good thing .
    Yes , a case spreader is needed for removal and installation. They should be used to spread the housing about .020" so that the tension is relieved and the carrier can slide in and out with the pry bars and some leverage.

I believe you do have to remove the ring gear to remove the cross pin ( it probably has a roll pin retaining it to the carrier ). Don't forget to get QUALITY ring gear bolts to replace the old ones and make sure the ring gear surface and carrier mounting surface is smooth and free of any type of debri when replacing the gear.
    The ring gear should have an interfearance fit on the center ring of the carrier and may require a blow with a soft mallet to let loose - this means that it should be a tight fit going back on as well so you may want to heat the ring gear up before re-installation to allow an easy fit up. Don't forget to use some form of thread locker on the retaining bolts.

Parts are available from several venders some of which you might find in CK5's vender section . You may have to get the small pinion gear set ( A.K.A. spider gears ) as a complete set instead of individually.
    Good luck !
    Tom

4. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I think that while I'm in there i will just replace all four gears, so I will be looking for a set. Do I need new bolts when reinstalling the ring gear? Are they only good for a one time use? Does anyone have an idea of where I can buy a case spreader online?

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

when I did mine I fought with it forever trying to get it out. Then a friend gave me a great tip and it's worked like a charm everytime. Leave the caps on but only thread them 3-4 threads(just so there's some room for the carrier to move) take a smaller sized crow bar and put the hook on one of the ring gear bolts and then brace it against the housing. then just give it a good hit. It should pop it out and with the caps still on you don't have to worry about catching it before it hits the driveway.

Never had a problem since I've been doing it this way and my carriers have been in there good.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good idea!

Also not a bad idea to loosen the ring gear bolts with everything still bolted in place, if like me you don't have an impact that will loosen the bolts up. Those things are a nightmare to remove in some cases, especially with a slippery piece that has no real good purchase points. :)