Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 casting # help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JDBlazer454, Apr 30, 2003.

1. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am hoping someone can decipher this casting # on my dana 44 for me please?

c38335
    44-8F

I would like to know what year of truck it came out of. I had the parts store tell me that they changed the inner wheel bearings during the mid 77 model year, is that true? I honestly think they are full of crap but want to hear other ideas. I just want to be sure I am getting the right parts as the old part disintegrated last week and there is nothing left of it. All I know about the front end is its newer then a 75 but no older then 80. Please any help would be great.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I think the 8 in 8F means 1978

3. JDBlazer454

Thanks. I am thinking your right. I did find in my LMC catalog that pre mid 77 the inner bearing measures 1-25/32" inner diameter and 3-1/16" outer diameter, post mid 77 inner wheel bearing measures 2" inner diameter and 3-7/32" outer diameter. I get to go out and measure. I never had any idea there was a difference after all these years of owning 4x's.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The guys at the parts store are idiots.

Get out your wire brush, clean off the axle tube and look for the Date of Manufacture and the Bill of Material number stamped in it. The Bill of Material number is the "MAGIC" number for working on any Dana axle. The BM will be stamped to the right of the Date. You should find it to the right side of the differential as you look at it from the front (drivers side). The BM number will identify everything except the gear ratio on a Dana axle.

It will start with a 60 and will look like this: 60XXX-X . It will only be 5 digits long, then a dash and 1 more number if I recall correctly.

Take that number to the DANA website and it will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your axle.

Go to a Dana Authorized Dealer (most driveline shops and some parts stores) and they will be able to get you whatever you need for that specific axle.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Dan....I went out and looked at the D44 under my 71 Burb and my BOM # is as follows: 603150 3. I entered the BOM # at Dana's site and it comes up not found. So I searched by make & model, and it only listed vehicles back to 1978.

So my question is, has anyone found the info for pre '78 trucks? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 44-8F housing was used from '73-'82. The wheel bearings did change in mid '77. The 1/2 tons got larger and the 3/4 ton got a fuzz smaller (in comparison to the earlier models). From mid '77 on both 1/2T and 3/4T use the same wheel bearings and seals. Most 44-8F housings were set up for the larger wheel bearings but the only way to be sure is to pull one apart and check. The reason I say that is because I have sold many conversion packages (spindles, splined hubs, bearings/seals) to upgrade to the larger bearings over the years, so even if you have an early one someone may have already suffered a failure and changed it over. In my GM parts book they state that the early models have the mount for the steering stabilizer welded near the knuckle and on the later (2nd design) they were welded near the center of the diff (towards the "pumpkin"). This info is accurate for the trucks I have worked on over the years but once again, who knows who has change what...... Hope this helps. Good Luck!

7. JDBlazer454

Thank you so much. That totally cleared it up 100%. I went out and checked where my stabalizer is welded to on the housing and its near the center towards the pumpkin. That and I mic'd the spindle where the inner part of the wheel bearing would ride and its 2". So now I am positive its a later 77 model.

Thanks again, I knew someone from here would know for sure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anytime man. I'm glad to help when I can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Have fun with your project!

9. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just found this thread using google and it has told me everything I was looking for. Even when I try going around it this site keeps helping me:haha:

Talk about digging up an old thread too:rolleyes:

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What GM truck used a Dana 44 up front till 82?? I never seen one. GM started phasing them on in 77. Also the 8 after the 44 has absolutely nothing to do with the year, IIRC has something to do with the tube thickness, also heard something about being an 8 lug, but not all of them have that number. Next to the BOM number is the casting date...

11. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my 8f isnt an 8 lug. but it does have the stabilizer welded to the diff side of the tube:dunno: I'm happy that I know where to find the numbers at so I can see what mine is for real. trying to buy parts for a mystery sucks:D