Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 crossover/histeer engineering issues (kinda long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by realsquash, May 19, 2004.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I've just installed a crossover setup on my 76 pickemup. It's your typical 3/4 ton D44. I've got Sky D44 arms, nice units. I also bought the the BDS pitman arm from Sky. I have a 6" spring lift up front with ORD shackles (so +1/2" of lift), nothing special. I bought a draglink from Sky, also, and it turned out to be too long by 2.5". I ended up having to remove 1.25" off each end and 1" off each TRE to get them to thread in far enough. I'm left with 2" of thread engagement, which I feel is fine, but now I have to have custom spares /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I am not flaming Sky here, he wanted to make another draglink for me and send it out but I had to get this working for an upcoming trip and had him hold off.

I also have an issue with the D44 arms. I can't steer to the stops on the knuckles any more so my turning radius is reduced quite a bit. It's equal in both directions and the wheel is centered. I wonder about taking the stop out of the steering box to get around this problem, but I would think that since damned near all boxes on earth have the same amount of travel they would put the draglink in a different spot. A little longer pitman would accomplish the same thing.

Sky seemed suprised about the draglink length. What measurements do you guys have center-to-center on your draglink? What about steering lock-to-lock?

Andy

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Sky Dana 44 draglink is about 41.5" without the TRE's on it (just the tube) I don't have much other info to help because mine isn't on yet. The steering radius sounds like a draglink length problem still not the arms. I'll let ya know how mine goes next week sometime sorry I couldn't help more /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif TTT

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have the same arms, with the draglink mounted to the furthest whole out your have wayyyy more power available to you for steering which works great but you loose turning radius. I switched mine to the rearward mounted hole for tire clearance and now turn stop to stop on both sides no problem, but of course i have a much harder time turning without hydroassist.

So basically it sounds like your steering arm is a tad bit long which is just the way they were designed.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I just want to know if you got the FI lawnmower running???????????

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif