Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 -> Dana 60 ---- Brake line question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ECNiz, Aug 8, 2002.

1. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

I'm upgrading my blazer from a dana 44 to a dana 60. I noticed that the bolts going into the caliper for the dana 60 are smaller than the bolts for the dana 44. I have to replace the calipers anyways, and I was wondering if there is a set of calipers that I can buy for my dana 60 that will accept the larger brake line bolt? Or, is there an adapter I can buy. I already have a set of stainless brake lines, and would rather not have to buy another set if I don't have to.

-Erik

2. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

anyone....anyone.....?

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What brand brake lines do you have? If they're Pro Comps they're made by Earls, maybe you could get the other ends from them.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Erik,

I talked to Stephen Watson about this exact issue a few days ago. I'm swapping in a D60 to replace an 8-Lug D44.

He said that the banjo bolts are a little loose in the holes, but should hold fine by the time you install the two crush washers and cinch them down. The only other thing is that depending on how you want the brake line positioned, you may need to grind part of the banjo housing end down to make it sit flat on the the D60 caliper.

I've got the Earls lines (ORD Extended Brake Line Kit) and I wanted the brake line to exit the caliper with the hose pointing directly at the frame, so I had to put a slight step-cut in the end of the banjo block to make it fit that way. It's no problem because there's plenty of extra material in those fittings.

I'd say, just go for it with the brake lines you have, just be sure to use the banjo bolts from the D60...the D44 ones are a different size.....I think the 10-Bolt ones could be the same as D60 though...? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

That's what I have, and I just realized that the ends came off. Do you know where I could find a new set of "blocks"?
    The earl's website doesn't list parts, and I didn't see them on summit racings website.

-Erik

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You could try Royal Brass in San Jose. I got adapters there from the 3/16" blocks on the rear line to the 1" that my K20 Eaton rear braline had on the hardlines. I don't know if calling them would do, you might have to bring 1 of the lines over with the right size bango bolt to show them what you needed.