Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44= Dana no more

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Jun 4, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

This sux, recently installed a 14 bolt and dana 44 on my truck along with a nice 355 TBI motor. Damn T-case has been on it's way out for a while , pops out of 4 hi so I have used 4 low when I feel problems could arise... Managed to pull a wheely going up a steep incline and caught decent air at the top. Next thing I know there is a bang from the front, guess the torque and the extra load was to much for it and riped the spiders and ring gear to shreads [​IMG]! This is only the second run on this axle.... Is there anything I can do to a dana 44 to make it hold up a little better? I ended up doing a lot of damage to my rig trying to get it off the trail. The motor is only pushing around 330-350 Horse and I am running 35's. I would have thought this axle could handle more than it did. Sorry whining makes me feel better. I will try to get some pics up soon. Thanx

You call that dirty!?

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Wish I could give you the anwser but I can't. Everyone says Dana 60's are the stuff, so that is what I'm going with. When in doubt, rip it out! Good luck.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Swapping in a aftermarket carrier(Dana Power-Lock is what I have) and Warn axleshafts and Warn Premum hubs and use all top quality parts (bearings and R&P) is about the tuffest you gonna beable to get it. I also am running thoes Warn Hub Fuses so I hope that will save my front from massive breakage if the situation calls for it.....
    or just go 1Ton, D60.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You can look at it this way. How much is it going to cost you to upgrade the 44. I was thinking of upgrading my 8 lug 10 bolt, but when comparing the cost to upgrade everything it was just as cheap to get a Dana 60. I paid $850 for my 60 which has Milemarker hubs, 4:56 gears and a locker. All and all I don't think it was a bad deal.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Popping the front tires off the ground and having them come back down while you are still in the throttle is a sure fire way to break lots and lots of parts!
    If this is how you typically use the truck, then I would have to suggest going ahead and spending the money on a front Dana 60. The 44 is not any stronger than a 10-bolt, and 35" tires and 350 h.p. is pushing the envelope just in normal trail use, add in using the truck hard on the trail and you will break it.
    You can strengthen the Dana 44 through the use of aftermarket parts, but in your case an aftermarket gear and carrier may or may not have kept it from breaking (considering you said it took out the ring gear and the spiders all at one time....that's pretty severe).