Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 Death Wobble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blopez, Aug 13, 2005.

1. blopez

blopez Registered Member

I have looked at the other posts and It is pretty clear that I have what you guys call the "Death Wobble" Now how do I get rid of it?

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Multiple things. I had it on my front end and the most common things are...

(In order from most common for me atleast)
    Balljoints
    Tierod ends
    draglinks
    wheelbearings

Grab your wheel at 12:00 and 6:00, if it has play jerking it back and forth, your balljoints are bad.

If you have had the wobble for a while, it can give a beating to all your DLEs and your TREs

Just check those, by having someone turn the wheel, with and without jackstands supporting the front axle.

Even hold on to it and if you feel a pop or can see visibal wear on the parts, they most likely need to be replaced

Wheel bearings are tested the same way Ball Joints are, except shake the wheel at 3:00 and 9:00 istead of 12 and 6.

If all that checks out you might just have some loose nuts, Check your springs, and the ubolts make sure they are all tight,

even check the bushings on your springs.

-Jon

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Check your ball joints, tie rod, bearings and other front end parts for wear and replace what is worn out and that should clear it up..

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Your toe is off

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

could easily be the toe, if none of the parts are showing wear.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I went through this recently, checked over everything and could not find any problems. I ended up rebuilding the whole front end, and I found one of the ball joints was getting pretty worn. After replacing all the ball-joints the problem went away. But I never would have known it was the ball joints without taking the knuckles off.

7. blopez

blopez Registered Member

Replacing front parts

Ok, where do I get these parts and how much wil it cost? Auto zone ect.?

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

To get the dreaded death wobble w/ a D44, your ball joints have to be bad. If the drag link or TRE's are worn, it will wander like a muther, but it won't produce death wobble unless they are just about to snap. I'd bet on your ball joints. You can get them from just about any parts store, but I would recommend going with spicer parts. They are the best for the money IMO. Should be somewhere in the $25 per joint range.

My '74 blazer had it bad when I first bought it. I chased it forever before I figured out what the problem was. That was before I came across this site. I would have saved myself a lot of $$ if I had found this place first. lol.