Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 Disassembly ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Sep 21, 2001.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I need to take apart the insides of the pumpkin to replace a seal. I have never done this before and I'm wondering what i should watch out for i.e. make sure I do during disassembly and assembly so i don't screw anything up.

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I just did this last night ,first mark the caps left and right then mark the bolts upper and lower and side then scribe a reference mark from the bolt to cap.loosen it up and carefully roll it out ,the manual I have said to torqe the cap bolts to 60lbs and they matched up almost perfect.i used a socket and jack handle to knock the old ones into the case then used a bit of rtv on the edge of thenew seals and used a sleeve from my ball joint removal kit to hammer in the new ones.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you are worried about the shimms they are pressed inbetween the carrier bearings, so no worries. You will have to pry a bit on the carrier to get it out of the bearing retainers. Get some brake cleaner and clean the axel housing the best you can while you everything gutted. If you remove the pinion at all be carful the shims are not pressed they are lose.Just put it back the way it was and you will be good to go!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

So basically all i need to do is pay attention to what goes where and how. That's easy enough. I'll give to a try. Thanx a bunch!