Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 first to 2nd design spindles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am replacing the 1/2 ton spindles on my 74 front end with 3/4 ton 1979 pieces. Everything swapped over just fine, but there is a little problem. On the very end of the short shaft there is suposed to be a c clip. The stub shaft poked out far enough to use it with the 1/2 ton stuff but not on the 3/4 axles. Do I need to run this c clip? I cant really see what it is suposed to be holding anyways. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

have you tried reaching into the knuckle and pulling the shaft towards you?

don't laugh i tried for 2 hours bitching cause i could not get that dang snap ring onto the stub and that was all it took /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's supposed to keep the stub from walking out of the hub. It shouldn't hurt anything if you can't run them, the stub will go right back to where it's supposed to be every time you turn since the u-joint will center itself in the knuckle whenever the wheels are turned. The main issue with not running it is that the V-seal will not stay as tight against the backside of the spindle so you run the risk of contamination in the stub shaft bearing that's pressed into the spindle.

Try what beater said though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

4. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Yea, I tried prying it forward from behind, it just doesnt wanna get even close.