Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 flat knuckle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Oct 10, 2000.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i have the original dana 44 with the flat knuckle on the right side and i have a newer one with the gears i want in it. i was just woundering if i can take both the knuckles off of my original and put them on the newer one? and how do i do this. fare as i can tell u pop out the ball joints and take off the tie rod. and then what? and how do u pop out the ball joins the axel is in the way?

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

All D44`s that GM used on they K model tucks are flat topped. The corp. 10bolt front uses a rounded casting on the knuckel (that is much stronger than the Dana type). It sounds like you have on of each. Thats OK because the parts are interchangeable as far as the knuckle is concerned. Are you thinking of doing a crossover swap on the steering? Now as to the swap you will need to pull the hubs, calipers, rotor, spindle, inner axel shafts, tie rods, and all of the dirt that has gathered in the tube over the years. Since it is all apart you might as well replace all of the worn bearings ( don`t forget the stub axel bearing), or brake pads. I would also check the axel U joints too. Buy good ball joints, you don`t want too do this job very often.

3. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i thought it was all pre 77 44s that had the flat knuckle on them.

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Whoa there, you are very wrong on that. All Dana 44 axle did not come with the flat top knuckle, only the early years did. As for the strenght of the rounded design, they came on both the 10 bolt and the Dana 44 and I would have to say that the flat top version is stronger, it appears to have more metal in key points and just f.y.i. The 10 bolts were made by Dana for G.M.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes and I thought is was just the early 70's and earlier models that had the flat top?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Flat tops were pre '76, some 76s came with them however.

ken