Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 44 front locking hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 20, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i picked up my dana 44 today, and i didnt think about the locking hubs. what do i have to do to make them locking hubs, and also, what else needs to be done before she bolts in?

thanks

tom

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Your new D44 doesnt have locking hubs? I'd do the obvious before you run it, remove the cover, inspect, change oil, repack or replace wheel bearings and races and seals and replace the axle u-joints at the same time. Check for worn ball joints and tie rod ends. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, since i am a newbie at this. it does not have the part on the outside of the axle where you get out and lock the hubs. is there a kit to do this?

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The axle prolly came off a full time 4WD truck, you need to buy locking hubs to replace what you got. The part number for Warn standard hubs is 9790, I dont know the PN for the premiums. Its a simple job, especially since you'll have them off to repack the wheel bearings and to replace the axle u0jts anyway. I think they cost around $70 or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif