Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 front Spindle/Hub 76 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cliff76K5, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Cliff76K5

Cliff76K5 Newbie

Does anybody know where to get a spindle/hub (the housing part that the studs go through and the hub is in) for a Dana 44 front axle on a 76 Blazer? I need one with the large inner bearing. One of the previous owners welded the studs to the driver side. :screwy:

I went to 8 different wrecking yards today with no luck. The 4x4 shops want to sell them with the rotor for $150. I already have new rotors and would rather not spend another $150. Auto part stores can't seem to get them either.

I checked ebay with little luck.

Do any of you happen to have one lying around or know where I can find a new one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Call Paul at Rocky Mountain Quality Machine in Colorado Springs. He has quite a collection of Dana 44 knuckles and should be able to fix you up. (719) 578-5805

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm...

I have 3 of them hanging around,but I think since they came from 1971 and 1973 front dana 44's,they will have the smaller inner bearing..but the splined drive hub itself should fit either one...I have sold brand new ones when I worked at a parts store--Bendix brake catolog listed them,they cost about 80 bucks ten years ago,dont know what they sell for now...the rotor DOES come off the drive hub,but the wheel studs are "swedged" or mushroomed a bit to hold them together,by driving out the wheel studs they separate..you dont HAVE to buy the rotor if yours is in good shape..but the rotor is cheaper than the splined hub..(1/2 ton rotors are about 20-25 bucks locally here)...

They reccomend putting the splined hub on with new studs,and turning the rotor/hub assembly as a unit on a brake lathe to ensure they run true,but I've thrown more than one together using the old studs,or fresh ones,without turning them,and had no pulsation or wobbles... :crazy:

EDIT::: BRAIN FART!...now that I look at one,the bearing races ARE in the splined hub,so you DO need the specific one for the larger bearing!!--I need another cup of coffee--or a BEER!.. :doah: :screwy: :ignore:

4. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

I have some small bearing spindles.... but not large bearing.

I may be wrong, but I think '76 Dana 44s had the small bearing and '77+ had the large. (or at least it was a mixed year).

You may want to double check. There is some info at this site: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

BTW, I was born and raised in Bakersfield... went to East High class of '91.

Good luck to ya.

5. Cliff76K5

Cliff76K5 Newbie

Originally I was told that the bearings (inner and outer) were the same size on the small bearing model but I was just at a yard and pulled one off an early 70's jeep truck (listed interchangable in the book) and the inner bearing was much bigger than the bearing in my setup. I took the old races with me so I could compare before I purchased the wrong part.

The guy at the yard said he thinks he has some more 44's lying around. I'm going out there again tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

Chevy_muscle: Thanks for the web site. I now know I have the small bearing, judging from the picture that shows what to look for.

I'll let you guys know if I have any luck tomorrow.

6. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Just to help you know for sure, here is a pic of the large and small bearing spindles.

[​IMG]

:D :D