Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 frt axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FUG8K5, Apr 28, 2003.

1. FUG8K5

FUG8K5 Newbie

Getting ready to buy a frt locker and I am wondering what experience good or bad anyone has had with the Lockright or similar style unit. How does it steer when locked, etc.?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can't tell you anything about those types, but when I get a locker for up front, I'm going ARB air locker or OX cable locker. I want to be able too turn it off when I don't need it, like for street driving. By the way, welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a lockrite in the front of my truck. (10 bolt) Mine never really seems to unlock. Steering is noticibly harder, but to me it is nothing terrible by any means. It is not difficult to turn the wheel, but you do notice it takes more input to turn the steering wheel. I imagine that it is kinda like going from power steering back to manual steering, but I don't think it is quite as bad.

I have never driven mine in 4x4 on the street with the front end engaged. I try and avoid it because of the front locker. Most of the time conditions here are not bad enough to drive in 4x4 on the street.

The only time I have driven it on the street it never touch pavement. We had a blizard in March and we had 36" of snow on the ground. So technically it was on the street but never got to it. I had no problems driving around with 36" of snow because of the front and rear locker, even with 32" tires.

I like my front locker, and wouldn't trade it. An ARB or full case Detroit might be nice, but the lockrite works so far. This summer should bring the test of its strength though. Once I get some decent wheeling with the 35's I will know more on the strength issue.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Loc-rites are only suggested for tires 33" and smaller.

Hossbaby- please clarify- The locker never disengages when on the trail? But driving it on the street with the hubs unlocked and in 2wd it drives normal right?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Correct. When it is in 2wd it is fine, but whenever you engage 4x4 that thing never seems to unlock. Even with the foot off the gas. I think it might be partially to do with the fact that my idle was messed up (idled at 850 or so ingear).