Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DANA 44 Gearing Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rust bucket, Dec 9, 2005.

1. rust bucket

rust bucket Registered Member

I've got a 72 Blazer that has 3.07 gears. I want to build this blazer just for off road use only. I have a set of axles in a 72 3/4 ton truck (D44/Eaton) that are in fair shape, but I know the front axle needs new carrier bearings. Not sure about the rear yet, but they both have 4.10s. I also have a donor 1 ton Eaton for the rear that is in great shape with 4.56s.

My question is, can I regear the 4.10 44 to 4.56, or does it take a new carrier. I was assuming the 3.07 axle would require a new carrier, but I am new to axle swaps like this and I need help.

I am on a budget, or else I would look for a 60, but I am also not that hardcore, just mainly want larger tires and need the gearing to run them and I have all these axles handy and own them already.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i can't answer your question about the carrier, but if it were me, i'd just find another 44 to run with your eaton. i've found its cheaper/easier that way.

colby

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I believe the carrier break is 3.73 and down, and then 3.92 and up. If I am not smoking too much crack, you should be good to go.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

That is correct sir!:D

5. rust bucket

rust bucket Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I want to start this project over Christmas break.