Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 gurus, need help FAST!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

My uncle has a 77' Ramcharger( i know, wrong truck) with a 44 front axle and full time 203. he asked me if i could help with finding out some info and you guys know more than anyone.

first off, hes got a crappy fulltime spindle/hub design with old style bearings.anyone familiar with what im talking about? where the axle is splined directly into the hub?

anyhow, hes spun both hubs and now has spun the spindle(races flop around). he is going to go to junkyards looking for a replacement, i suggested he may be able to swap parts from a newer axle and get a better quality design. are the spindles interchangable between the years? he needs to upgrade to a part time system aswell to save the frontend and tires. i was thinking he could swap something off a newer 44 with locking hubs and cone bearings.or maybe 10bolt stuff if it swaps over. whatever will work and improve on his current setup. what will work and what wont?ideally it would be something easily found at a junkyard.

he also needs to do a part-time conversion for the transfercase. where can he get one, how much and what whats included in it for the front end. new hubs? ? can anyone shed some light on the subject? thanks!

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

203 part time kit? Milemarker. There are a few different options for doing that....

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If his 44 is 5 lug, Chevy stuff isn't going to work. It's 6 lug.

After replacing the bearing hubs, he should invest in a set of lockout hubs for the front from the way it sounds.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya i forgot they are 5 lug. the milemarker kit comes with locking hubs correct? does anyone know if there is a better hub design that was on a dodge that still uses 5 lug?