Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 HD, does anybody know about these?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Oct 13, 2004.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

It's an 8-lug front end off of a chevy. It has external hubs (I am assuming from the studs sticking out where the hubs should be) and I've been told it's a Dana 44.

Now, I'd believe it's a D44 as it looks about the same size as my 10-bolt, but in all the pictures of the 8-lug D44 I can find they all have internal hubs! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can somebody help me out here and just give me some general info?

Thanks!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Older model D44's had the external hubs. I believe it is 1973 and older. This axle should also have the small axleshaft u-joint that a newer D44 and Corp 10bolt.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Early 3/4 ton D44HD's had the external hubs (76 and older, I believe). Their are some wheel bearing and axle tube size differences but for the most part it's the same as any other D44. They use the same carrier/r&p combo and axle shafts as the later 1/2 or 3/4 ton D44's.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I think the tubes are thicker, but they have smaller-weaker bearings than later D44's

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

The wheel bearing locks are different as well. HD's use the 2 jamnuts with the holed spacer between, whereas regular 44's come with jamnuts that have teeth that interlock eachother.