Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 - How to beef up ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd really like too have a Dana 60, but I don't think I can afford one at this time. I have a (3/4 ton) Dana 44. I'll be overhauling it when I do the gear swap. I also plan on the CMT joints. Is there anything else I can do to beef up the Dana 44 ??? I'm just going too be running trails (light rock, nothing bigger then 3 or 4 feet high.) and streets as well as some mudding. Tires will be 38" Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 rims. But anyways, I'm looking for ways too beef up a Dana 44. (I don't plan on a locker for the front, only in the back)

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Alloy shafts, I think offroad unlimited sells them

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Buying CTM's, Shafts, etc. etc. etc. you migth as well get a D60.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It seems that by the time you get new gears and beef it up you are into it for as much as a Dana 60 would cost. And no locker or anything in the front is gonna hurt on the trail, at least do a limited slip if you stay with the Dana 44.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm the same way, I dont need / want a D60
    I would say, limited slip and replace anything that looks worn when you have it apart. Toss in new seals and bearings since you will have it tore down that far esp is you are going to stick with the D44

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm the same way, I dont need / want a D60
    I would say, limited slip and replace anything that looks worn when you have it apart. Toss in new seals and bearings since you will have it tore down that far esp is you are going to stick with the D44

[/ QUOTE ] The overhaul kit I'm getting has all new bearings and seals. Limited slip up front will work for me, keep in mind that this is a daily driver that will see trails on the weekends, but during the week days, alot of street duty. Also will have too deal with snow and ice in the winters. Any recomendations ??? I am going with a Detroit Locker in the rear.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If your putting a detroit in the rear I would go ahead with one of the detroit truetrac's up front.

If it where me I would do open or limited front and an auburn in the rear on a daily driver. But alas no Auburn for the 14bolt!

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well best thing for the front would be an air locker or electric locker, but they cost so much money...but would be the best way to go.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's the cost that stops me. Wish I could afford the ARB air locker.

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

my trac-lok limited slip works really well, and its a cheapo unit...just having something will help so its a matter of the best you can afford

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You're planning to run 38's so technically you've already "graduated" to a D60, whether you can afford one or not.....

Why not just do a "stock" rebuid on the D44? Keep it cheap and do some "light wheeling" like you say you'll be doing. THEN if something breaks, fix it. Keep the objective to spend as little on that axle as possible.....no CTMs, no alloy shafts. Save, save, save for a D60. If the D44 is breaking all the time, then you'll know you're heading to "D60-ville" anyway......if my some miracle the D44 holds up with 38's, you can spend that money on beer or ammo or something..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

All the stereo stuff could of bought a really nicely set up D 60. Use next years tax return and get what you want....

Priorities, make the list, and stick to it....

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You realy want people to tell you search, don't you?

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    You realy want people to tell you search, don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Searching for an answer won't increase your post count! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    All the stereo stuff could of bought a really nicely set up D 60. Use next years tax return and get what you want....

[/ QUOTE ] With PRIORITIES in mind, I can't sink every last cent into the K5. I also have a household too think about. The home theater equipment I bought gets alot of use, so it was well worth it.

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] With PRIORITIES in mind, I can't sink every last cent into the K5. I also have a household too think about. The home theater equipment I bought gets alot of use, so it was well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Sometimes people forget there is life outside of trucks.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You're planning to run 38's so technically you've already "graduated" to a D60, whether you can afford one or not.....

Why not just do a "stock" rebuid on the D44? Keep it cheap and do some "light wheeling" like you say you'll be doing. THEN if something breaks, fix it. Keep the objective to spend as little on that axle as possible.....no CTMs, no alloy shafts. Save, save, save for a D60. If the D44 is breaking all the time, then you'll know you're heading to "D60-ville" anyway......if my some miracle the D44 holds up with 38's, you can spend that money on beer or ammo or something..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock crawling, just light stuff on the trails at the most. I'll be happy if the Dana 44 will live with the light stuff I'll be doing.

18. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

that home theater is SWEET!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that home theater is SWEET!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks, I have always wanted a high end system, and am very happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So, would you say the bass hits pretty good ?? I didn't even crank it up half way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

well,
    I might be able to help you with a very cheap fix..
    Grind your inner side of the axle shaft ears down just a hair to fir in full circle c-clips on the u-joints. It helps the joint stay in place much better.
    Blake