Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 hubs removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Sep 23, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

So I am trying to remove my freewheelin' hubs and have never done this before. Full time yes. I took out all the little allen wrench bolts and that assembley. The first gear came out and then I took off the snap ring. Now I can't get the inner gear to come out. It slides out a little and then stops like there is another snap ring in the way. Can someone help me out.

Thanks
    SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There is another snap ring in there. It is hard to see. It is almost the size of the hub. I had to dig it out with a small screw driver. It's a thin ring of metal that is sometimes a PITA to get out. It's hard to explain, but look for a thin metal ring on the inside of the hub. You got to get that out to get the hub out. Hope this helps. Someone else might be able to explain it a little better.

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Do you know what kind of hubs you have(name brand)?

It sounds like you have the original Spicer hubs. If so, you should have had to remove a snap ring before anything came out. There is a snap ring around the axle shaft and then there is a bigger snap ring that fits in a groove inside the hub/rotor. It's a little over 3" in diameter and you will need a couple of sharp flat screwdrivers to get it out. Everything should pull out then, but it might take some persuasion.

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that is exactly what I was missing!!

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I now bend the edges of that same snap ring to make it easily removed the next time. I take one end of the ring and bend it up, and it makes a huge difference!!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles