Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 in the rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sidepipes, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

My friend has an 86 Chev truck with a D44 in the front and he says a D44 in the rear. This truck is heavily modified by someone else and thats what the guy told him what was in the rear.
    My friend is going one tons front and rear so I can get these rear ends(4.10's) for cheap. The back ground on my truck is it is an 86 with corporate 10's front and rear(3.42's) with the rear gear making some pretty good noise.

Did Chevy ever put a 44 in the rear of their trucks?
    Would this be a good swap for a mild truck(future 3" suspension lift and 33 X12.5 tires)?

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of a 44 in a Chevy, but GMC used to use Dana 44s in some half tons in '68 and older. 100% definitely not in anything newer though. Most of the 1/2 tons prior to the introduction of the 12 bolt got the HO33 GM axle which is a smaller version of what many refer to as the Eaton axles.

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have never heard of a 44 in the rear either, I guess I have to look at the rear end and see what it actually is.... I am thinking 14bolt SF.

The guy who built this truck knows his stuff and it was his brothers truck so its going to be good axles.

My friend isn't the sharpest crayon in the box so he's probably got it wrong.

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

My friend has a dana 44 front and rear on his willys....4-wheel steer though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

built not bought I think he read the term backwards /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

your friend that is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK there are 2 options, he could either have a 12 bolt which some people confuse with the D44 because of the shape of the cover, or a D44 from a Jeep wagoneer.
    I am assuming it's a six lug sinse the only D44 rear that is wide enough to fit the blazer is the wide track wagoneer or J10 Jeep.
    I have it in my wagoneer check my album here on this site.
    It's as good as a 12 bolt if not better.
    But you still have the limit of 35" tires, it's better than the 10bolt rear if that is what you have.
    To make sure you actually have a D44 just look at the lower right hand corner of the housing it should have a 44 cast into it.
    Chevy to the best of my knowledge never put a D44 rear, in anything GM.