Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 Internal-VS-External hub

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backwood heavy, Sep 30, 2002.

1. backwood heavy

backwood heavy Registered Member

I am looking at a 91 blazer with a set of 3/4 tons with 4.10's, a 14b FF and a Dana 44 with the large external hub. I think I remember this being weaker than the internal new style hub. I also wanted to know when they stopped using this style hub so I can put a date to the set of axles and maybe know how much mileage they have seen.

Thanks in advance and I hope I can get a truck soon stinking honda /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The last year of the external hubs was '76. These are the "first design" parts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with the larger external style hub. Warn makes a premium hub for them as does several other companies. I've been running a set for a while now on mine and haven't had problems. External style hubs got a bad rap from the Jeep crowd. Lots of problems with them loosening up and whatnot. Hasn't been an issue with mine. On a strength note, I've got a feeling it's gonna be pretty hard for me to break 6, 1/2" or so bolts that thread into the bearing hub.

As far as Dating the axles, they aren't 30 years old yet, but they are getting dang close....

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

They could be over 31 years old as they started using those front hubs in '71 on the K20s. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. backwood heavy

backwood heavy Registered Member

It has the Warn Lockouts with the new conical warn base so It should hold out I was just curious. And if i ever felt like it i could find a 3/4 ton Dana 44 internal hub under any rock or stump. OK, gonna go call they guy hope hes home.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If I am not mistaken, 3/4 ton hubs all are external, the 1/2 tons had them external then switched to internal.
    I could be wrong though.
    IceMan

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The 71-up 1/2 tons were all internal....
    The 71-76 3/4 tons were external....
    Everything was internal from 77-up on straight axle trucks

8. thatK30guy

What beast388 said.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Wrong again Garlic Breath!!! (J/K!!!) The large style external hub was used in GM 4x4s since they started putting Dana 44s under 3/4 tons in 1960!! And used all the way up until mid-1977, that's right, MID-1977. It was the "first design" hub for '77, after which they went to the internal hub like the 1/2 tonners had all along. I've heard that the externals are weaker, but the external factory Spicer hubs are STEEL, compared to the aftermarket internal hubs which are cast ALUMINUM!! I don't know bout you guys, but I've allus thought that steel was stronger than aluminum! Oh well, I don't worry bout that anymore, as all three of my rigs are equipped with 60 fronts !! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. thatK30guy

Hey Dildo Breath! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (Just kidding! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) You are right on all counts with the years, but I was sticking with the '73-'91 years instead. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Are you denying an old man his opportunity to recant ancient history?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. thatK30guy

LMAO!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif