Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 isn't gonna be enough for me.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAMAROBOY69, Sep 16, 2002.

1. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Registered Member

Dana 44 isn\'t gonna be enough for me.

That dana 44 up front of my truck is never gonna hold up. I drive in 2WD and take it pretty easy.
    This weekend was the third time I took the truck out and the front axle took several turns for the worse. The front passenger u-joint broke on my 2nd day. Now on the third day the front spindles bent severely and the truck looks like it wants to give me a hug--he he.
    I now realize I need at least a dana 60 for the front. There is no way a dana 44 is enough. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Re: Dana 44 isn\'t gonna be enough for me.

How well your Dana 44 hangs together has alot to do with driving style.I have seen people with D44s do some crazy $hti (Burt4x4 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif)and not break or bend anything.

As far as it bein bent,maybe its just your balljoints that are worn out

3. CAMAROBOY69

I wish it was my balljoints then I wouldn't have started this post. The spindles and assembly are definetely bent /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I thought my 44 was bent once.It looked bend and it was startin to wear my tires funny.It turned out my toe was way out .Got the toe in spec and it didnt look bent anymore /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I see your runnin 44s.That would explain alot /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Somehow the description of your driving style and the amount of damage just don't match up. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I've beat the crap out of several 44's and have never bent a spindle. How high did you jump it just before all this damage occurred? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. CAMAROBOY69

Did you look at my truck in "my real life cars" ?????
    Mabey that would help those out who havent seen my truck yet---lol /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm trying to figure out how you snapped a steering joint in 2wd. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I beat the heck out of my 44 and broke everything except the spindles. Like someone else said, how high did you have to jump it? I've seen axle tubes break off the housings from jumping before the spindles bend. </font color>

8. CAMAROBOY69

shaggy
    I assume you mean the universal joint at the end of the axle. I broke that the first time I used 4WD. I wasn't jumping it either. Just look at my pics. That is what I do with the truck. The third da is how I "bent" the spindle. It just makes the tires toe out like they are opening their arms to hug me

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You bent it in the mud?

10. CAMAROBOY69

I sure did /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Mud is the only thing that truck sees. I drive it about 2 miles to the local mud hole. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It would be a good idea for anyone who runs dana 44's to weld some kind of gusset to strengthen the end that holds the spline and ball joints. I think this will be the next thing I do before that breaks. Otherwise the the front end is gonna be junk.