Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 44 knuckle steering arm, i cant get that F#%$ing thing off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Mar 5, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

i have d44 knuckles for my 10 bolt to do crossover steering. but i cant get the dam steering arm off. i got the three bolts off which took me like 1 hour.but the arm wont come off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i used a blow torch, hammer(oops), big hammer saw. that little f er wont come off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

please help before i break it. sorry need to blow steem

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hit down and side to side. Do not hit from below the arm upwards. There are cone washers that you need to pick out as they break loose. I got one off a really crusty 10 bolt in less than 10 minutes...5 good smacks side to side and one washer loosened just enough to be able to pick it out...another couple of smacks and the other two loosened up. Once the washers are out the rest is cake. I used a sharp pick and some needle nose pliers to remove the washers when they loosened a bit.

Rene

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

one thing i started doing on mine is, if you have access to a welder, put the nuts back on and weld them on to make a bolt then whip out the impact and go to town.

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

get a bigger hammer and hope that the neighbors sleep soundly. we lost my favorite sledge to steering arm... a moment of silence please

5. Catman

Catman Registered Member

Been there, broke that. I used an air chisel to pry it off. Good thing 'cause the next step was C4! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I beat on mine w/ a splitting mall until the cones loosened up, then I pulled them out w/ pliers.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I beat on mine w/ a splitting mall until the cones loosened up, then I pulled them out w/ pliers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pounded on mine for a long time, and nothing budged so I got the air chisel and started to hit on it and it turned, so I kept turning it and it went up.
    It seems the cones were crushed on the studs so much they developed threads.
    so on the 2 left I strted that way, and it worked.
    I had to replace the first one that I mangled with the air chisel.