Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 knuckles, need help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Apr 7, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well I am in the process of swapping out my old dana 44 for a different dana 44. My original dana 44 from under my truck is complete and the new one is just the housing and gears.

So what I want to do is take the knuckles from my old one and install them on the new housing. The problem is what do i do about the adjusting sleeve? I am not installing new ball joints at this time and the Haynes book says not to re-adjust these unless you are installing new ball joints. So how do I know if it is adjusted right when I put the knuckles on from a different axle?

Also i says to replace the self locking nut on the lower ball-joint. I have looked and so far can't find just this part. Will a nut and lock-tite do the same thing?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can purchace the spanner socket for the adjusting sleeve from most parts stores or tool trucks for around $15.00. As far as the lower nut is concerned, i would just reuse it if you can't find it anywhere and use a little lock-tite on it. By the way, if i remember correctly the preload on the spanner sleeve is somewhere betwen 60 and 90 ft. lbs. When i did mine i set them at 75 ft. lbs.