Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 mounting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, May 1, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do all front Chevy Dana 44 have 4 ubolts? Or does some of the D 44 have the 3 u bolt setup with the 2 mounting studs on the pass side.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Four ubolts for the D44 and 10-bolt, the two mounting studs are used on a Dana 60.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

That is what I thought, but when I posted that the donor vehicle is a 3/4 ton truck everyone says that is HAS to be a D44 because Chevy did not put D60 in the 3/4 ton. I had never seen a D 44 with 3 u-bolts. I wonder if the fact that the truck is a diesel has anything to do with the D 60 being in a 3/4 ton.

NOW I have to get the truck so I will have a D 60 and 14 bolt FF unfer the Blazer ;-)

Thanks

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, my K5 HAS to have a 10-bolt in it because it is a 1/2 ton, but I have a 60 in it because I swapped it in so that could have happened in your case. Also, an easy way to tell D44 from D60 is that the steering arm on a 60 is attached with four studs while the D44/10bolt uses three large studs. Or you can simply wipe the dirt away and either F60 or D44 will be stamped on the front lower part of the pumpkin just to the right of the cover.

5. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

That may be a dodge dana 44 they use studs instead of a u bolt on the pass side.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok it is a 60 and a 14 bolt. Can I remove the axels from the truck and put them under the blazer and then swap in the 1/2 ton under the truck. I know I will also have to switch u bolts and spring plates. I think from my reading the u joints will be the only thing that I have to replace since the mounting points are different size. What about brake lines? The truck is running so I would like to steal his axels and put mine under it so I can resell the truck ;-)