Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 or 10 Bolt Flat knuckle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 4, 2000.

So where the hell can a man find a Dana 44 / 10 bolt flat right side knuckle? You know, the one for crossover set-up.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I just got one for my axle swap that was on a 44 out of a M1008 donated by the USMC.

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Try off road unlimited. They have a cross over steering kit that includes the knuckle

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I've got one that I dont need!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Pre '77 44s had the flat side right knuckle. Also, you can obtain one from a full size Jeep 44 (Wagoneer, Cherokee) of the same time period (pre '77). Try Parts Mike (530-885-0673), he sold me a flat side right knuckle already milled and drilled for the crossover steering arms (used on my Jeep). He is very reasonably priced, unlike ORU or Dynatrac, or Tri-County, or others!!

ken

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 1976 D44 front axle sitting in my backyard with no axleshafts, but complete from the knuckle in.
    So it should have 'flat' knuckles? Does someone have a pic, because I don't get where it is supposedly so flat.
    BTW, what are the knuckles selling for if they are the flat top kind?
    -- Mike

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Look at the left knuckle where the steering arm mounts. See how its flat with 3 studs? Look now at your right knuckle, it should be flat in that same spot, although it is not milled, its just cast flat. These can be milled and drilled to accept steering arms for crossover strg. Parts Mike gets $50 core charge for flat tops, so that should be about what they're worth. BTW, ORU's corssover kit is something like $1100 or so!!!! OUCH!!!!!

ken

7. Actually the crossover kit is $850 and then you still need the 2WD steering gear box($50 in a salvage yard).

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I did both of my crossover steerings (on Dana 60 fronts, though no diff in price) for under $250 each. Buyer beware!!! Shop around!!! ORU's kit is really nice, but damn well should be for $850!!!!!!

ken

9. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Ken, what did you have to do on the d60 for the cross over? Did $250 complete the job, or were there other costs? Also how big of a difference did it make on the road? I have a 72 with an eight inch suspension, 3 inch body lift, and I'm always afraid I'm gonnna get that compact in the next lane stuck in my tire tread! Thanks!

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I lifted my truck 6" susp. and it has very little wander. The only steering correction I have is a raised steering arm.
    It actually steers better than when it had a 4" and NO steering correction.
    I wonder why some trucks have this problem and some don't?

When my truck had 4" and no correction, there was a quarter-mile stretch of highway that was under construction and down to one very narrow lane. One one side there was a concrete wall, the other some orange cones followed by a good 1 to 2 foot drop to the dirt. I thought I was going to die every time I drove through there.
    Now, I can gas it and it tracks straight.
    The only thing i notice now is a vagueness when the steerng wheel is centered - someone posted hat the steering box brace can helop fix it. Might give it a go.
    -- Mike

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Let's see, the two arms (steering and pitman) cost $150 from Parts Mike, the tie-rod that I had shortened to use as a drag link cost $25 labor to shorten (I already had it, but one could probably pick one up in a bone-yard for $20 or so), Dana 60s already have a place to mount the arm, so no "flat top" knuckle is necessary (as with Dana 44s or 10 bolts), the 2WD steering box I got for free, but one whould be able to obtain one from a wrecking yard for $50 or so. There you have it! BTW, your '72 will have a flat top knuckle already, I suggest you contact Parts Mike for the steering arm and machined flat top knuckle, then send him back you old flat top knuckle as a core when you've installed your crossover. It is a night and day difference in handling, especially being able to turn WAY tighter with the crossover steering!!

ken