Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 or Dana 60?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by proyouring71nova, Aug 30, 2002.

1. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

Right know I have a dana 44 8 lug up front the only problem is that it's drum brakes. I have all the stuff to convert it to disk wich I got of an corp. 10 bolt 3/4 ton. Now the ? is should I do the D44 where I have to put all new seals, gears, and a locker or should I just get a d60 already built? I use my 69 k20 for work and for wheeling, when I wheel I do about 80% fast dirt trails and 20% mud and rocks. Know what do you think I should do?

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Easy, go with the D60!!!

3. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

Then I have to wait for one in the paper or save up the money to buy a new dana 60. max

4. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Here it is, D60 is much better. If you have the cash or you can wait then get the D60. If the money isn't there then deal with the D44. Its not a bad axle but it doesn't compare to the D60.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Get what you can afford. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you already have the stuff to convert to discs, do it. If you haven't had any breakage problems, don't worry about the D60. It is a stronger/ better axle, but if you can spend the money elsewhere and get by fine with the 44, do it.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Take my word on this one, as someone who knows from personal experience:

Rebuilding a D44 will get expensive (seals, bearings, locker, beefier axle shafts) but building (or buying!) a D60 is even more $$$$ !!!!

Forget about finding a good D60 for $500, or $750, or even $1000. The stuff you find at those prices still needs LOTS of work and money to get it into proper running condition. And that's not saying anything about the other "goodies" that you will want at the same time, like a locker, crossover steering, 35-spline stub shafts and hubs, etc.!!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I'd say it's pretty easy to tie up $3000 in a D60 re-build/setup axle....I saw the dollar signs flying by when I did mine recently, and a friend of mine is going through the same "high-dollar" experience now on his D60.

I guess the easy answer is to do whatever it takes to make you happy with your current D44. If that means adding disc brakes (kind of a no-brainer and probably reasonably inexpensive) then do it. If you NEED a locker for the kind of wheeling you do, then I guess you'll have to pay the $$$ for that too.

If it were me, I'd be trying to avoid sinking a TON of money into a D44 if you know you want a D60 anyway. But be realistic when you set a budget to locate a rebuild that dream axle.....it's a very rewarding experience to do yourself, but there is still quite a lot of $$$ involved.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I can wheel all day long on my D44.
    I will never go bigger than 35" tire. If you wana run thoes bigg biasply swampers then go 60 if you plan on staying 35 or under go with a beefy d44 and use good throttle control when wheelin.
    I belive it is all based on tiresize and driving style.
    .02c