Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 PInion bearing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have never had a Dana 44 pinion out, is there 1 or two bearings on it? Anyone have Timknin numbers for the bearing(s)?
    Also is there a crush sleeve or is there a spacer?

Thanks

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No offense, but I just talked ot my local rear-end place to get a bearing and he said he was almot positive that it had (2) bearings.

He is supposed to call me back with part numbers and prices. I will let you know!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

If you subscribe to 4Wheel & Off Road go to the Dual Dana 60 article in the November issue. They compare the different strengths and weaknesses between a variety of axles. They show a picture of the ring and pinions of a F##d 9 inch, a Dana 44, 60 and a 10 bolt. If you look at the pinion shaft in the picture you should see two smooth surfaces where the 2 bearings ride.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

ok,, there is only ONE TRUE PINION BEARING!!!it is the one you have to press onto the pinion itself and shim for proper depth!! there is another bearing but it is held in by the housing and some refer to it as the OUTER pinion bearing..this is the one right behind the pinion seal..

so actually everyone is correct!!![​IMG]

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]