Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Nov 18, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

I just went wheeling a day or two a go and one of my heep friends said that the left front tire was wobbling pretty bad. This got me worried so yesterday I checked the ball joints, no side to side movement, but when I rocked the tire with my hands on the 12 and 6 position there was a little movement. Tried the right side and it did the same thing, only it was just a touch firmer. Any thoughts? Should I worry? I have drove the truck since then and it drives down the road fine. Thanks all.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jack up the tire again and try and pull the bottom of the tire outwards. It should not move...if it does then your balljoints probably need replacing.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

If the balljoints do need replacing do you think that it would hurt it if I took up for one last trip in the hills? After this trip Im planning on parking the truck for the winter. Thanks.

4. tRustyK5

I inadvertantly drove from Canada to California needing balljoints...[​IMG] I didn't know they were gone til I got back and saw the strange wear on my one front tire. I had 3/4" of movement outwards at the bottom of the tire. I'd say have a good trip...just remember that the balljoints are on there way out and be a little easy on it.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Wow, glad you got to Cali with no problems. I'll take it easy and thanks for your info.

6. tRustyK5

No problem...

Rene